+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Southern Indiana guys - post up what you get 2/23 and 2/24

We got 115 gallons off of 97 taps today at lunch. For what its worth, the 6 that I tapped the other day had a LOT of sap in them - they were all at least 3/4 full in a 5gal bucket, most were at the top. I think Old Guy has the right idea.
    Matt M.

2008 - 15 taps, boiler made from a file cabinet, 4 gal pots
    2009 - 31 taps, same boiler
    2010 - 71 taps, new 2x6 homemade evap, flat stainless pans
    2011 - 99 taps, new sugar house, same evap as above, working on flue pan
    2012 - 138 taps. New 2x3 V-flue pan
    2013 - 150 taps.
    2014 - Shooting for 200 taps, new dedicated sugar shack, will start work on new pans and evaporator.

I checked the bags tonight. Wide variation in sap. Been sick for a few days so I will try to gather tomorrow. It is defiantly going to be grade b If I don't dump it.

Mark

I got about 18 gallons off of 25 taps in the last 24 hours. I didn't get much from the day run yesterday, so I moved many of the taps to new trees (in the horizontal rain) last night. I had to run them at 3:30 this morning because of all-day meeting today. Much more sap in the new taps.

I will have store-bought spiles and 4-gallon buckets next year. It is difficult to gather sap in the dark with a headlight and bad weather because your milk jugs are running over. Not to mention an extra hour of sleep would be nice...
    2010: 12 taps, sloppily-built concrete block arch
    2011: 20 taps, better-built concrete block arch
    2012: 91 taps (tubes into 5-gal buckets), new 2x4 divided pan
    2013: 96 taps, same set-up
    2014 & 2015: Only five taps due to business obligations
    2016: Retirement & tapping as many trees as I please!
    Assisted by: My 17 year-old Black Lab mix and Stan the excellent assistant brewmaster.

The run Wednesday night into Thursday was big. I had blue bags overflowing last night. We have been worried that the 15 taps that we had would not make enough to hit my 5 gallon syrup target. Added 5 more taps and then a big run??

Now I have 100+ gallons to boil on two turkey fryers and a Coleman stove.

Anyone know of a traveling sap boiler? Ha Ha

Next year I'm going to have a 2' X 6' wood fired something. So if you hear of a good deal, hook me up.

I'm up to 15 gal finished so far. Indiana jones I am thinking of getting a larger evaportor next year may sale my 2x6
    Last edited by The Birdman; 02-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.

How may taps are you up to and what is your 2X 6?

This is my first year for for this and I have not really looked my woods over for a tap count. I'm guessing, 200 taps could be reached pretty easy.

A large Hobby size with a continuous flow pan arrangement.

PS. Anyone nearby have a pan that I could buy that I could marry to a barrel stove ASAP.

Thanks
    Last edited by Indiana-Jones; 02-25-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Its a leader 3ft syrup pan 3ft drop flue. I run 200 tap but would like to go to 500- 600. I'm getting @40gph with it.

My taps have been in about 2 weeks. so, I guess my question is "should I move my taps to a different spot on the tree"? I am pretty happy with the syrup we've gotten so far, but with the temp change will it be better from new holes(same trees)?
    Putting out somewhere between 25 - 200 taps this year. Probably coser to the latter. No matter what I say today!

Be careful about tapping too many. There are rules for max taps per tree (based on size), I'm sure you can find them on this site. The only reason I moved mine was because the taps had been in a long time and I was not getting good returns now. Whether that had to do with warmweather/healing or just poor runs, I don't know. Since I had more available trees, it was easy and painless to move them.
    If they've only been in for two weeks, I imagine you'll be just fine (that's based on only a second-season novice opinion.)

Hope you get a good run tomorrow...
    2010: 12 taps, sloppily-built concrete block arch
    2011: 20 taps, better-built concrete block arch
    2012: 91 taps (tubes into 5-gal buckets), new 2x4 divided pan
    2013: 96 taps, same set-up
    2014 & 2015: Only five taps due to business obligations
    2016: Retirement & tapping as many trees as I please!
    Assisted by: My 17 year-old Black Lab mix and Stan the excellent assistant brewmaster.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana-Jones View Post
    The run Wednesday night into Thursday was big. I had blue bags overflowing last night. We have been worried that the 15 taps that we had would not make enough to hit my 5 gallon syrup target. Added 5 more taps and then a big run??

Now I have 100+ gallons to boil on two turkey fryers and a Coleman stove.

Anyone know of a traveling sap boiler? Ha Ha

Next year I'm going to have a 2' X 6' wood fired something. So if you hear of a good deal, hook me up.
    lol. I specifically remember warning you to start small. I think we've all been there, and it's an excuse to upgrade for the next year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast