+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forest Fires

Default Forest Fires

How well do maples survive fire?
    The land I sugar on just missed being burned. I am wondering how well the land next to ours, that burned, will do!
    Some conifers like and need fire for healthy seeding and growth. I am thinking it won't be the same for maples.
    http://aswewalkalongthetrail.blogspot.com
    200+ on bucket
    All cooked over grandma's old cook stove
    Wish I didn't have to cook it over grandma's old cook stove! But love making sugar -so I do!

Highland,
    Fire is a natural thing, it produces ash which is a great fertilizer.
    They will be fine.
    Unless the fire burned deep, which I doubt. No doubt a surface fire.
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

Fire is being tested as a control of red maple and a way to promote oak regeneration. At least red maples are sensitive to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Beweller View Post
    Fire is being tested as a control of red maple and a way to promote oak regeneration. At least red maples are sensitive to fire.
    Very interesting! We are mostly oaks here as it is and not near enough maples and those are a higher % reds. I will be interested to see what happens with the reds.
    200+ on bucket
    Wish I didn't have to cook it over grandma's old cook stove! But love making sugar -so I do!

i have cut timber on land that was burned and prescribed to be burned and maple never fares well. if it was a ground fire with low fuel you may be ok but if the bark on the trees has been scorched and there was a lot of fuel on the ground there probably won't fare so well especailly being on the southern end on the maple region. maple is such a thin bark tree it usually can't take much fire heat. it may take a season or two to see the real damage
    western territory manager for h2o innovation
    past professional tubing installer
    16x32 heavy timber frame sugarhouse
    2600 taps on vacuum
    [url]www.photobucket.com/grossmanbrothers[/url
    www.ohiomapleproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by jason grossman View Post
    i have cut timber on land that was burned and prescribed to be burned and maple never fares well. if it was a ground fire with low fuel you may be ok but if the bark on the trees has been scorched and there was a lot of fuel on the ground there probably won't fare so well especailly being on the southern end on the maple region. maple is such a thin bark tree it usually can't take much fire heat. it may take a season or two to see the real damage
    I agree, with such thin bark I have seen many maples lost just to bark and surface damage after wind falls have crashed against them. The woods that burned had a great deal of unburned fuel on the ground before the fire. Being on the edge of the maple region, they are already few & far between on some hillsides.
    200+ on bucket

Hey highland03, as I type this I'm looking at the mountains across the valley smoldering(George Washington National forest), I'm visiting my niece in Mt. Jackson. I'm not sure if forest fires are common in this area,it's the first I've seen being from NY. With the odd winter we had their has been red flag warnings in our area of western NY, and some brush fires on Long Island. Hope you get some rain in Va.
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

One of our bushes had a small brushfire right by the tank and Pumphouse. We were lucky there was only small amount of damage to our pumphose and despite large amount of underbrush fire was quickly contained. Probably someone carelessly threw a butt out the window.
    The sweetest trees are not always the oldest and the biggest...
    [url]www.facebook.com/oldetymewine
    www.facebook.com/brandybrookmaplefarm

1999: 100 taps in one sugarbush
    2007: 2000 taps in one sugarbush
    2010: 7000 taps in 5 sugarbushes
    2014: 9000 taps in 6 sugarbushes
    2015: 9000 taps in 6 sugarbushes & 40 birch taps
    2016: 10,000 taps in 7 sugarbushes & a new winery
    2017: 10,000 taps in 5 sugar bushes & birch & WINE
    2018: 10,000 taps in 5 sugar bushes & birch & Wine

+ Reply to Thread