+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saddles Upside WRONG, and Twisting

Default Saddles Upside WRONG, and Twisting

Ok, I know this isn't ideal but, I installed a roadside mainline last year. One straight shot, about 80 taps, 200 yards. I used small (1/2") mainline (didn't know any better), and electric fence wire with strainers at each end. It is right in front of a neighbor's house (the neighbor that let me tap his trees) so I can't leave it up. I coiled up the mainline last spring, now I am putting it back up. I used the saddle type connectors to connect my laterals into my mainline. More than half of them are upside down, but not all of them. It seems like my line has twisted. Any cutesy tricks on how to twist the mainline so the saddles are on top again?!?! Seems like I'll have sitting sap and frezing issues if I don't correct this...
    3rd (maybe 4th?) Generation Sugarmaker
    Wood fired Grimm 2.5 x 8 New to me this year.
    In the corner of the "greasy garage"
    300 Taps @ 2 locations this year
    All borrowed trees!

I fight it every year, but only on 5/16 lines on road side trees.
    If I go around the trees the wrong way the drops will be upside down.
    I have to watch real close. And I mark the trees.
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

The supplier I use had the best idea so far, refit the saddles properly, tape up the old holes. They even had rubber plugs that can be fitted into the hole, then taped over. Sounds good for now, but I can't do that every year...
    3rd (maybe 4th?) Generation Sugarmaker
    Wood fired Grimm 2.5 x 8 New to me this year.
    In the corner of the "greasy garage"
    300 Taps @ 2 locations this year
    All borrowed trees!

I dont think that I would be putting tubing up every year and then taking it down every year. I would move onto another property to tap. Too much work.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by AGR1093 View Post
    The supplier I use had the best idea so far, refit the saddles properly, tape up the old holes. They even had rubber plugs that can be fitted into the hole, then taped over. Sounds good for now, but I can't do that every year...
    Rubber plugs for Mainline? Now I have a hundred Questions.

What size? ( I have both 5/16 & 7/16 )
    Will they work under Vac. and with what success?
    Where can you get them?
    Just tape them in ?

Ok, 4 Questions for now.

AGR I wrap the hole with electrical tape and put a hose clamp over it. They don't leak even with over 20" of vacuum. If your not using vacuum on yours you don't want mainline over 1/2" diameter. You have a better chance for some natural vacuum with the smaller line. You may want to use a manifold that you cut in instead of the saddles. You just loosen the clamps and twist the manifold into the position want it in.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

try twisting back by attaching to a saddle (with 3/16 nylon rope) , wraping the saddle 2 times in the direction you want to untwist and side pull as needed to tension line and hopefully untwist. Might be worth a try. When you get it up properly, after going around the tree 2x come back to the mainline and tie a clove hitch around the main in the direction that will hold it there. You can then use a couple wraps of electrical tape to hold the clove hitch, but if tight you should not need it.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-22-2011 at 05:53 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Ethan I just ran in this exact same issue. You uncoiled the mainline. I ran some used mainline in the new expansion. One branch we uncoiled the 2nd we unrolled. The coiled one did this. And there was no way to straighten it. So I drilled new saddles and put hose clamps with a chunk of rubber between the clamp and the mainline to plug the old holes. Just a flat piece from lowes.
    The rolled one worked perfect.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Thats wy I use saddles with barb fittings.....................YEA I know They suck, dont work and restrict flow BUT all I ever read about the saddle fittings is they Suck, leak, break easy and there expensive. Now if mine get twisted over time I walk up and twist them stright I have some saddles in the parts bins I think I will start my next camp fire with them.

if its on vaccum, does it really matter if they are on the bottom? I mean there needs to be air space in the mainline for vacuum anyway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast