+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to connect a pipe to a 250 gal. tote?

Default How to connect a pipe to a 250 gal. tote?

Hi,

I bought a used food grade tote like the one in the picture to use as my sap collection tank. I am looking for a coupler that would allow me to connect a pipe and reducers and gravity feed it to my pre-heating pan where I would have a valve to control to flow.

My problem is that the thread on the 2" tote valve doesn't seem to be standard. Has anyone else encountered this? Can you share how you resolved this issue?

Many thanks!
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric (Kinburn, Ontario, Canada)
    www.ericmayer.ca
    ----------------------------------------------
    18"x48" Dominion & Grimm wood fired evaporator
    10'x16' sugar house
    2010: 15 taps (5.5L of syrup)
    2011: 50 taps (48L of syrup)
    2012: 72 taps (20.25L of syrup)
    2013: 0 taps. No syrup.
    2014: 65 taps (25L of syrup)

get a 2'' x 1.5'' perco fitting (rubbery black fitting with clamps on either side, all hareware stores carry them) attach the 2'' end to the tote valve threads ( take off the union nut), and the other to standard 1.5'' female adapter and reduce to what ever you need. the other way in witch i've done is to ( if you have the spout that comes with most of those totes) cut off the tip of the spout and glue a 1.5'' pvc fitting to it, like a soket x female.
    Last edited by ejmaple; 02-19-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    2 x 6 small bros raised flue
    preheater and hood
    200 taps on gravity
    200 taps on vac
    16 x 12 sugarhouse
    New Holland tc40 (sap gatherer)

http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/v...3.jpg&newest=1

Get a 2" cam lock with double female and you can get any reducing bushing you want for it i did the same thing on two of those tanks and one is bushed down to 1-1/4" and other is down to 3/4" for a garden hose which goes to my pump to put it up into my storeage tote. Works really good and no leaks. You can get those cam locks for under $20.00 bucks. hope this helps. cpmaple
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

Thanks guys,

ejmaple - I thought those rubber couplings were for sewer and drain only (that's what the sticker on them say anyways). Are there any problem in using them for food grade products?

cpmaple - I went to a local farm supply today and saw some Gator Lock couplings (http://grnleafinc.com/CATALOG/GATOR_...Gator_Lock.asp) but me and the staff couldn't find a way with what they had to reduce it down. I also brought one home and didn't find it would lock down on the tank fitting properly. Did you have to modify the tank fitting? Did you clamp your on the threaded part?

Cheers,
    Eric
    www.ericmayer.ca
    10'x16' sugar house

My problem is that the thread on the 2" tote valve doesn't seem to be standard. Has anyone else encountered this? Can you share how you resolved this issue?

You would be correct they are all metric threads. If you look closely it says it on the tank somewhere, well atleast mine do. I would also suggest putting cam locks on them for quick and easy removal of the pipe.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

If it is metric, measure the diameter in MM The diameter from the deepest thread depth to the opposite corresponding groove and the pitch (mm distance thread to thread. Then you should be able to get a nipple to screw in. Then go Fernco connector and use a valve from there. Good luck.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Here is a conversion chart : http://www.pennusa.com/pennpage/dire...ec/metcons.htm
    This will give you the equivelents. Then measure the pitch and order a 80-90 or 100 mm long nipple to work with. They can be gotten many places online.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

search oesco.com or google orchard equipment supply company. they r in conway mass. thats where i got the correct adapters for mine.

York fluid in Brampton ont. sells Banjo brands couplers and adapters npt/metric or buttress in polypropilene.
    200 Buckets 2015
    14 x 16 Cabane ā sucre
    2 x 5 Cantin evaporator

Thanks again guys,

After doing a lot of web searching I found out that they are called IBC buttress fittings. A company named Banjo produce them (probably others too). Now I have to find a distributor in my area (Ottawa valley in Ontario, Canada) or someplace that can get it shipped to me within the next week. Suggestions are welcome.

Steam Maker - Thanks, but oesco.com brings me to an electrical company in Oklahoma

maple flats - Thanks for the tips and chart. I'll look into that approach also.

Cheers,
    Eric
    www.ericmayer.ca
    10'x16' sugar house