+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sistersville tapping

I usually average sugar content in WV of 1.75% for the season and this year it is about 1.5%. I would guess the vacuum is really making your sugar content a lot lower. So far this year I have got about 5100 gallon of sap from about 630 taps on gravity but would guess with a properly designed vac system, I could have gotten 12,000+ gallon of sap but expect the sugar content would have been 1% or less. I would guess the vac is contributing to the low sugar content at least this year. We had an absolute ton of rain for 3 weeks in the prime of the season and they trees were drinking up all the rain water with just a few very minor freezes and the vac was probably just sucking up the rain water.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Default sugar content

Bradon ,

Tx 4 the info , it helps a little to see other are seeing similar conditions with the sugar content. This has always been a hot topis , does the vac lower the over all sugar level? I have listened to a lot of people who claim it makes no difference but I always see higher brix with the vac off. Twice the volume and half the sugar , what is the point in boling twice as long for the same amount of syrup .....

There was a lot of rain for sure

ED
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    3x12 dalliare & hoods & preheater
    300 ro & vacuum
    Ls 4 wheel Drive 58 horse
    kabota 4 wheel drive 20 horse
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123