+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good year so far

Default Good year so far

Wow it has been a good year so far I am currently sitting at 95 gallons my goal is 100 but we are having a real warm spell here in KY and it is going to hit 70 degrees. Not sure but I believe this may shut things down. If so I will have to tap a sections on my farm that I was not going to. No lines in this area it will be all buckets with some really steep hills. Not bad until you trip on a root and spill 2 five gallon buckets and flip half way down the hill. Last year I did that twice. Which sucks! That is 20 gallons of sap plus a few good dents and dings on the body. Last year we did not get these temps until almost march. Someone should have been out at that groundhogs hole with a flash light so he would have seen his shadow. I know all you guys up north are just getting ready for the sap flow. Hope it goes good. Everyone have a good one.

Glad you've had a good year so far and I hope it continues. We've got a warm spell today and tomorrow but its not worth tapping this early to get a day's run. You'll be finished for the season and on the golf course by the time we're ready to start!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Tim
    Just when I got started it shut down for me. Since Monday I have only collected 75 gallons with 200 taps. Only my sugar maples are giving anything. Today I got so upset I ripped out 600 ft of main line and taps that were mostly red maples and moved it to another section of the farm that is predominatly sugar maples. Hopefully I will get them tapped in the morning and be up and running.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

Tim Caught your video on youtube looks like your running a new lapierre Just put together a 2.5 x8 last season only ran 3 times,becaue the pans wern't built until 3/26/10. Have you had any issues with it? Mine seems to boil real well. Where just about to get started up here in Western New York.Tapped 89 on vaccum 75%reds rest sugars got about 110 gals. need to finish installing 50 more on vac and hang 150 buckets on big sugars when it gets a lttle warmer. Glad to see your having a good season I hope I will be saying the same. Jim

Jim my pan is good it is a 2x8 and I am pleased with it. A few things I wish I did have was a blower fan to make the fire hotter and insulation for the front door. I caught my coveralls on fire the first year I had it. I get an evaporation rate of about 30 to 50 gal per hour. Wish it was more I have more sap then I have time to evaporate. I had to dump about 300 gallon this year do to it going bad before I could evaporate it. I am looking at a steamaway pan. From what I can find out that should give me a evaporation rate of 80 to 90 gal per hour.and if the wife agrees to it we may even get a RO but we will see. I could always tap fewer trees but where is the fun in that. This doggone weather just may shut me down for the year we are going on 9 days of not having below freezing temps at night so we will see. Hope your season goes well

Well CRAP!! they have changed the weather forcast and it is not looking good for the maple season here in KY. I believe it is done for the year. I missed my mark of 100 gallons I got 95. That is better then 94 and the 95 is 20 more then I had last year so that is good. I have several trees I can tap in another area but I am not going to do that if we don't get some freezing temps. I guess we will just have to see.

by the time i start here you will prob be swiming in the lake hahahah . i cant wait im a very small producer and its my first year i will have only 20 taps but looking for over 50 next year

+ Reply to Thread