+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapping new sugarbush

Default Mapping new sugarbush

Were looking for input on how best to map out our large sugar bush. We have around 400 contiguous acres of sugar maple at our disposal and we are planning to start on tubing installation this summer with the goal of tapping and sugaring in the spring 0f 2012.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with gps mapping and overlaying that info on GIS or satellite imagery? while we know that we will not be installing all the tubing in year one, ( more likely over 4 years ) we would like to plan it all out ahead of time to accommodate the increased flow from such a large area! Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

ArcGis should be able to easily handle your mapping needs, but unless you are familiar with the software it can be a challenge to work with. The program is also quite expensive, though there may be some less expensive options I'm not aware of.

In the field I run ArcPad software on a hand held computer with a Trimble GPS connected via bluetooth. You can put all your GIS layers including imagery on the handheld, view it while in the woods, and build new map layers (like planned mainlines, laterals, etc) directly on the hand held using the GPS. Back in the office everything downloads right to ArcGis and I don't have to worry about converting files or managing individual GPS files.

One thing to be aware of is that accuracy may be an issue if you are trying to capture every tree along a lateral.

I'm far from expert in this field, but this system works very well for me in all aspects of my forestry work.

Sounds like a fun project! Best of luck.
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

Hey thanks for the info Northwoods. I'll check into the ArcGis system that you suggested, it sounds intriguing. By the way, what type of forestry work are you involved in?

Yes, ArcGis ArcView is what I use at work. Version 10 now as a matter of fact. A standalone version will cost I beleive $2k or so, but I get it on State Contract so i really dont know what it would cost for the public.

I too run a Trimble GPS unit for data collecting and then downloading back into ArcGIS. works slick. But I must say that for your application you would be far better served buying a recreational GPS unit like a Garmin. They are accurate enough for what you are planning and include Software to download to so that you can label etc. That is the route I would take. For under $500 you can be all set.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

GPS is the way to go for sure. There are many different levels of accuracy of course, that dictates the price. Navigation grade GPS, or recreational units like Garmin can give accuracies to 10-15', but its not a sure thing. In a hardwood stand, with a good view of the sky it should be quite good. There are units with beacon corrections that can give sub-meter accuracies, for this I would suggest hiring someone to do some of the locating and supplying you with a map.

If I was mapping a 400 acre lot, for sugaring, I might suggest that you check out Delorme's GPS receivers. They have the options to overlay TOPO maps, aerial photos and your collected waypoints right on the receiver. All these better units will connect right to your PC so you can do the planning at home. As a Land Surveyor I've got a 5 year old Magellan receiver that I use weekly doing recon on large rural lots, it still works great. You could of course hire a local Surveyor to locate every tree, but that would be overkill! Good Luck.
    2' x 4' W. F. Mason Hobby Evaporator
    14' x 20' Sugar House
    170 buckets for 2014
    Tractors, ATV's & Kid Power
    8+ Dairy Goats, dozen hens, beef

BLOG: http://juniperhillfarmer.blogspot.com/

adk1 is right, ArcGis and Trimble are at the high end, both price and capabilities, though my PDA/GPS combo didn't run much more than a Garmin. Anyway, hopefully others will chime in, there may be cheaper options that will work for you out there.

I'm mainly doing local private forestry consulting here in VT. All aspects of woodland management including planning and overseeing sales. I used to do a fair amount of Gov't contract work, but I got tired of all the travel. Tougher to pay the bills staying local, but much more satisfying.
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

You know, maybe you should reach out to a local extension or school/college that you may have in the area. I bet that there is a program in cartography or GIS/CAD systems that a student is looking to do a research paper or project. This would be ideal for them, and htey would have the available equipment to do it. Jsut a thought, wouldnt cost you a dime to get everything mapped out and provided to you. You could then jsut use that as your basemap and build off of it as you go.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

This is so cool to hear GIS being talked about in maple sugaring! This is what I do for a living! I don't have a stand big enough to be worried about mapping it, but I can offer services and advice to anyone who is interested.

I have a side business called Natural Resource GIS and I cater to this sort of thing along with needs from foresters, gas industry, and folks with large tracts of land looking to map various resources on their land.

I have been in GIS for 10 years now and love to see new and interesting ways that it can be utilized.

Drop me a line anyone. I'm glad to help.

Just some tips...locate your County GIS or Planning office. They are usually the ones with the most accurate and most up to date data including aerial photos. Google Earth has cool services, but they are not the ones who generate the data, they buy it from the local small governments.

Also folks, you can download a free GIS software from forestpal.com its called fGIS. It was created by the University of WIsconsin Forestry program. The old non-supported version is free, and the newer updated version by Tatuk GIS costs...but is still cheap compared to other GIS software.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast