+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is official we are tapping in Maine!!

Default It is official we are tapping in Maine!!

It is official we started tapping yesterday. Tapped one of our smaller groves but got it done and fixed issues along the way. 120 down 2,380 to go. Lets hope the warm weather this week will drop the snow levels in the woods and we don't have to tap with snowshoes. Hopefully by the end of febraury vacation we will be done and then can get the rest of the sugarhouse put together and ready to start. Don't want to be caught like last year.
    HAPPY SAPPIN'
    Bacon Farm Maple Products
    Bacon Farm Maple

not yet for me. on call this weekend for work then free and clear til april. hopefully cut in drops on new line on presidents day and poke holes the folloowing weekend. still lots to do.
    150 buckets
    75 on tubing for 2011
    homemade evaporater @ 20+/gph
    2 boys getting "woods wise"
    1 wife getting "maple wise"
    still enjoying every minute of it

We're getting the sugarhouse ready this weekend, and tapping a few bucket trees. I think we'll hold off on the tubing until the next weekend, when and if it warms up again.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

The ice is melting on the driveway. It's 100 degrees in the greenhouse. I'll bet the trees are running today. No taps yet. Maybe a few this weekend. Have patience young Jedi.
    2' x 4' W. F. Mason Hobby Evaporator
    14' x 20' Sugar House
    170 buckets for 2014
    Tractors, ATV's & Kid Power
    8+ Dairy Goats, dozen hens, beef

BLOG: http://juniperhillfarmer.blogspot.com/

Mabey you can answer my question if you have the time. Here goes. I have about 30 + or - trees that I tap for my self. Question is: If I drill my holes and install the taps now before the sap starts running Is that okay? If it dosen't start will I have to redrill? I am getting anxious and want to be ready for the very moment the sap starts running!!! Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Yes Kitti,
    You can tap early, in fact many larger producers have to, to be ready for the first runs. I've seen them in up here in the Dover area for at least a week already, but I'm smaller and plan to hold out for another week.
    The problem with going early is that your season can end earlier. You are working against bacteria formation at the tap hole and the tree trying to go through the healing process. If you run pipeline it slows the process of bacteria getting to the taphole, if you run buckets it can set up earlier.
    If you're on a predominantly south facing area your trees may run a couple weeks earlier than someone set up on a North slope. Get to know the sugarbush you are working with, look at the snowpack, feel the density of the snow, know how the sun and wind affect the area. This is one of the biggest guessing games of the whole process so don't be afraid of making mistakes, either early or late. Be a good student of what you do experience and learn from it. Above all else, have fun with it, anticipate it but don't let it stress you out.
    Chris

Early is better than late. That said, it looks like it will turn cold again for at least another week, so I'll be waiting until the next warmup. With only 30 trees, you shouldn't need to tap early...just get everything ready. If you're impatient, put a tap or two or three in and see what happens. It'll be a good learning experience for future years. You should avoid redrilling. No sense injuring the same tree twice as often in the same year.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Thanks, And good luck every one!!

Thumbs up Tapping

Well it was almost 50 degrees this morning, So I went out today with the youngest of the sap haulers, Two goats, and the wife that let's me get away with all this and put in 50 taps. About an hour later collected about 2 1/2 gallons of sap for fun. I'll get another 50 +/- taps out this weekend when more sap haulers are around to help.

Default Tapped Today

I tapped 4 today. I'm getting sap from 3 of them. I'll put the rest out tomorrow and the fun begins!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast