+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should you stop boiling and call it syrup?

Default When should you stop boiling and call it syrup?

Hi,

2nd year, got about 3.5 gallons from 20 taps last year...for home use and gifts. Although I liked the syrup I produced, it was a little bit thin compared to commercial McLure's Grade B Dark Amber that we use in the restaurant.

I don't want to buy any more special equipment, so I did the 7.5 degrees f. rule above the boiling point, checked with a very accurate digital thermometer?My boiling point here was 213 degrees f so I took it to 220-221. Has anybody heard of a different temperature above the boiling point that is correct?

I may also try this year judging the syrup density by weighing it. One perfect level cup of commercial McLure's weights 11.55 OZ./327 Grams. If I did this, would my syrup be thicker?

I entered the syrup at our local Durham Fair this past year and some of the comments were..a little thin.....very clear.....slight fermented taste. No ribbon....a little disheartening since almost everybody wins something!! Wah!

Thanks in advance for the help.
    14 Very Large Sugar Maples
    28 Taps-Leader Aluminum Hookless 5/16" treesaver
    Outdoor Fireplace
    Mature Pines-lots of free fuel
    2x4 Stainless Boiling Pan
    Hustler Fastrak Z Mower (for mulching leaves)

I grew through the same process jcr1709. Spend the 25 bucks or so and get a hydrometer. Use a thermometer to get you in the ball park of syrup and then the hydrometer for final finish. Like you, my first year syrup was all thin based on thermometers alone and I found out later that often I need to take things several degrees higher. If you're going to try for ribbons you will need the tools... fortunately this one costs far less than a pan or filter press.

I know you dont want to buy anything else but to get your syrup right you really need to buy a hydrometer. They are not that much money and you can skip spending the money on a hydrometer cup and improvise with something you might already have. It is a must have in the sugarhouse. I have atleast 3 of them at all times. It sucks when you drop one so IM come prepared. Also it has been brought up a couple times on here but it take 9 degrees over boiling point of water for me and some others as well to get to the red line on the hydrometer which is correct syrup density. Some other old timer tricks are to test it using the aproning trick but hydromter is best. Oh yeah did I say use a hydrometer?
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Know I'm going to sound like an Echo - But I wasted a lot of time and energy making thin - ho-hum - maple syrup. When You finally invest in a syrup hydrometer - You will be making Maple Syrup - You can be proud of. It is the most important tool You can have - to make maple. ----- Mike

Hey did I mention get a hydrometer
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Whoooopppsss! Heard an Echo -- Get a Hydrometer -- A Syrup Hydrometer... They really work ----- This is an echo - echo - echo -- Mike

Take it from an elcheapo, get one its the difference between making sweet water and real syrup!! many years without it and not one batch was the same now perfect.

It took me almost 12 years, but I finally got the hydrometer last year and wouldn't be without it now.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

hmmm just an idea...I know everyone has their own different ideas on how to tell if syrup is finished right...my own twist on this hotly debated topic is to go buy a hydrometer...
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

are all hydrometers alike or is there a specific one for maple syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast