+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sap Leaking...

Default Sap Leaking...

Why is it doing it? I hand drilled my hole and i've put the spigot in. Some sap is flowing out of the spigot, but i see a lot flowing out around it. How do I prevent this?? So much precious sap not going into the bucket!!

help
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

discovering and sharing the world through photography, music, and maple syrup

25 taps
    1 pot

Driven in too hard, which splits the tree. Others more experieced can give better advice- but the general idea is to choke up on the hammer handle, tap lightly, and stop when the sound changes, which is the point where the hammer will bounce off of the tap (spile).

Thanks Len. Good point, I think I have been driving in too hard. I'll fix that! Thank you for you help!
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

25 taps
    1 pot

To begin with - are you using a tapered spile? You probably are - but - one never knows. Just like len says - You probably set the spile in too hard and split the tree a little -- The tree will heal - but - always bothers me to see the sap running down the tree and not in the pail -- lol -- bothers all of us. You want to tap it in just snug enough to hold a pail full of sap without pulling out of the tree. Hey -- I always have a few that do that - so dont let it bother you. --- Mike

I had some pretty bad leakers last year and that was my problem. I tapped when the trees were still pretty cold and drove them home. I've had wet spots that dried up after a few days over the years, but a few of these never did. The ones I put in today I just snugged in lightly, and will tap in more if needed when the tree warms.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

a mistake ive made is wobbling the bit as i tap, making an ovular hole.
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. You learn stuff everyday. Every drop of sap counts! I must learn how to maximize correct tree tapping!
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

25 taps
    1 pot

I have few leakers as well - I tapped when it was still below freezing. Can I just take a hammer and seat them a little more snug or will that further crack the tree?
    Former Life: 300+ taps (125 gravity, 200 buckets), 96 gallons of syrup in 2015
    24x16 public sugarhouse
    2x6 wood fire evaporator (back pan Waterloo Small & Leader 2x2 front pan)
    Current Life: Backyarder with Mason 2x3XL. New sugar house coming soon…

I guess that partially depends on how deep you drilled. I drilled and tapped 11 more trees today. Len was right. Drill in and tap until light tapping doesn't drive it in anymore. I had a couple more leakers today but by and large they were looking much better and I had some fast drips.
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

25 taps
    1 pot

Very good thread for us newbies.

I also have the same leaking on a few of my taps. However, I am wondering if I didn't drive them in ENOUGH. I tried to only put them in as much as they would need to hold the pail. I know you can't see a lot in the pics, but what do you guys think? Some of my other trees that are not leaking have the spiles driven in deeper. Also, on these pics, I did not find any splits from the taps.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    2010 8 taps on 3gal buckets
    2011 20 taps on 5gal buckets
    55gal home made collection tank
    20gal ss stock pot w/ turkey fryers
    2012 40-50 taps on 5gal buckets
    250-275gal collection tank on back of truck
    ANYTHING different to boil on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast