+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2011

Hi Russ, Thanks for the offer but I work weekends. I don't get home until 6:30. Not sure what Michelle is doing. I think splitting wood. I should have everything just about ready for tapping tomorrow afternoon. Made very good progress today. should have let you take my releaser. I'm sure i won't need it till the next run. Keith
    Keith & Michelle
    Still Seeking Farm, LLC
    4120 4x4 John Deere
    2x6 Max Flue with Revalution syrup pan
    349 taps on vac
    19 on gravity
    2 sap hounds

Boy I wish my wife would split wood!!! I felt lucky when she brought in some for me when I was sick last weekend!!! (she only had to bring it from the pile just outside the door!!!) but she still did it. Surprise!!!

It ran OK. its getting better every run. Most taps are running slowly still. North side taps are running but started late and are running slowly. I still think there is an issue with Ice around the bottom of the tree. Since we got that rain last week or when ever that was, most trees have a good thick layer of solid ice around the bases. So my theory is there is not alot of water going up from the roots because the bases are still frozen its just everything coming down the tree. But what do I know???

Only got about 50 gallons today. Its about 36 here right now but I am still getting a little sap. just trickling in though. But the vac will be running all night tonight!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Kieth do you have a Bernard single mechanical releaser? If it is I would have only needed to borrow the cover to the main canister. I could have tested it for you. Mine should be up and running again before the next run anyway.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

No I have a double bernard.
    Keith & Michelle
    Still Seeking Farm, LLC
    4120 4x4 John Deere
    349 taps on vac
    19 on gravity
    2 sap hounds

Russ, this maybe a fool question as I know you are very mechanical! But is there any chance that it needs cleaning of the vacuum chambers? I was just watching the Lapierre video on the Bernard and they were saying they needed to be cleaned regularly or the arms would stick and not switch ! It shows how to clean them. Here is the link I think http://WWW.sugaringequipment.elapier...p?no=113#video Hope This Helps!JimL.
    Last edited by NH Maplemaker; 02-17-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: letter missing in web link
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

Are you tapping this year Kieth? If not sell Russ your double and I'll buy the single.
    If your tapping good luck in your new spot. I had been wondering where Michelle32 disappeared to. We're also missing Stickey this year maybe he'll pop up.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Ya where tapping. Should have everything done today. Hopfully in time to get alittle test on the vac pump. Michelle is tapping and splitting wood this weekend while i'm at wook. I think she has monday off also. She's already change the batterys in her head light. Say's she's out there till there all tapped in.
    Keith & Michelle
    Still Seeking Farm, LLC
    4120 4x4 John Deere
    349 taps on vac
    19 on gravity
    2 sap hounds

Jim the arm is clean and lubed and works the way it is supposed to. The vacuum is leaking past the seals in the vacuum valve. When the arm is in the upper position and the releaser is ready to dump the piston in the valve doesn't go out with enough force to pop open the valve that releases the vacuum. At the same time vacuum is sucking into the lower port that goes to the back of the valve. In that position that line is only supposed to act as a vent so the piston can move. With all of the problems that I have had with it over the years I know this releaser inside and out. I can't wait until can afford to upgrade to a double releaser and get rid of this POS. Then I will have to learn the fixes for the new one.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

SO I went out to check on the vac pressure today. I was at 23"at the releaser and 21.25" at the end of 1 of the lines(I have 2 more gauges to put at the end of the other branches I just haven't done it yet) so thats a loss of 1.75" and thats with an extra air flow for the sap lift. I can deal with that. I still might look into a bigger newer vac for next year though. as I plan to add an extra 50+ taps and about 250+ feet of mainline. If I do that I will need the sp22.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

My son in law Richard turned the vacuum pump back on this morning and went out to fix vacuum leaks. Much to our delight the releaser started dumping on its own. It still has the vacuum leak and doesn't push the relief valve open with much gusto but is dumping without assistance. I came home to 250 gallons of sap in the tank and rising. Looks like I am going to boil this weekend after all.

Enough leaks have been fixed so that we are maintaining 21" of vacuum and the vacuum pump is now on until it freezes. It looks like it won't get down to freezing here until 1 am or so. I am hoping to get 200 or so more gallons of sap before it does.

I am off to Joshes in the morning to help him with his RO machine. Then it is back here to put the membrane in mine and get it going. I should be boiling tomorrow night.

The boiling sodas are tasting good tonight though.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast