+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying Bottles, What is a fair price? Where to buy? What shapes are good?

when you go to the hardware store buy a hydrometer. Get the syrup to the correct brix. Also get a felt cone filter and a few pre filters. They sell all of that stuff. Sounds like you are getting more sand when cooking on the stove. Filter it once you get to the correct brix and then reheat and keep the temp of the syrup under 200 when bottling. it helps to also have a thermometer that reads in tenths.

Over here in Wisconsin Maple Hollow sells quart glass bottles for 9 dollars a dozen. Maplehollow.com
    600 Taps on Buckets
    John Deere 4-wheel drive Utility Tractor
    20x20 Sugar Shack
    2 3x6 Flat Pans Wood Fired

I have no idea what bottles cost but reading this thread just made me realize what good sense a small producer's co-op would make. Even $9/dz seems expensive to me and you might be able to do a lot better than the local hardware store.

You guys in NW PA should get together and see if you can find others like you that might be interested in going in together next year and buying a large quantity of bottles at a bulk rate.

Just a thought while watching sap boil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123