+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Bottles, What is a fair price? Where to buy? What shapes are good?

Default Buying Bottles, What is a fair price? Where to buy? What shapes are good?

Bottles are expensive. I understand obviously that the more you buy the less you will pay per bottle. I think I want to go with the 8/8.5 oz 250 ml bottle. Where can I go to get a small order of bottles but still try to get each bottle as close to $1.00 as I can including cap?

Also, what other designs and shapes have you all used other than say the shapes you see more often in the grocery store? I have been finding that bottles geared more to the syrup crowd tend to fetch a higher price since they know who they're going after but maybe different shaped/types of bottles which are cheaper but are still good?

Appreciate the help! Thank you so much!

https://www.bascommaple.com/category/glass/containers/ my main bottle is the gl12dl and the gl8dl. 12 per case and which puts them both under .80 with caps. The more fancy the bottles get the more rediculous the price. I have used the traditional maple leaf, bears, santa clause the list goes on but these are the ones I sell the most of. people like the price better since they are cheaper and less markup to cover glass prices.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I also buy most bottles from Bascom, but not this time of year. I go to their open house, (the last Fri-SAt in April this year) and buy off the clearance section. My glass styles change somewhat from year to year but I usually get enough glass at 1/3 to 3/4 off regular to go the next season. With this said, I still do far more plastic than glas and I do buy some current fancy glass but the bulk of my glass is alway what was on clearance or over stock the previous post season. I didn't even go last year for the first time in few years but I have most if not all of my glass I'll need until either their open house or some body else's. We have been thinking of going to a different one for a change. Maybe Leader, or Goodrich, or Lapierre, or CDL. Don't know yet. Which ever we do we will only go to one such trip because at that time my blueberry field start screaming for my attention. My guess is that they all might run a clearance that time of year.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for the input and help guys. I'm still starting out so I'm just trying to make a few gallons this year and just getting some bottles to start out.

Do you all have any ideas on how to get recycled bottles? Bottles that are in good shape but can be reused again?

Hmm, I have been able to find Bascom, but I can't seem to find the sites for Goodricih, Lapierre, or CDL. Could you link them please? Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Choubacca View Post
    Bottles that are in good shape but can be reused again?
    Not recommended and against legislation in many areas. If you are looking at cheap, plastic is the way to go or "mason" jars for glass.

Thanks for the tip Bryan. I just bought 24 bottles from Bascom. The goal will be to fill all 24 this year.

Shame though, it would be cool to be able to do the recycling bottle thing to encourage recycling, reducing our use of materials, in an overall message to reengage with our environment more.

If its for your own personal use you can use your recylced glass. We reuse our mason jars over and over for ourselves. If you sell it its a no no.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Quote Originally Posted by Choubacca View Post
    Shame though, it would be cool to be able to do the recycling bottle thing to encourage recycling, reducing our use of materials, in an overall message to reengage with our environment more.
    You can go that route... just not with commercial sales. I will often re-use bottles for family and friends but be sure to boil the bottles in water before use and always replace the caps.

Another way of keeping packaging costs down is to check out the clearance items from your local manufacturer or distributor. Some great deals can be had on bottles that don't sell all that well.

- Bryan

To recycle bottles for sale to the consumer you need a certified bottle washer and sanitiser. Many dairy's (milk in glass) do it but you nor I could never afford the equipment.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast