+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garbage Can told hold sap?

Hybrid View

Default Garbage Can told hold sap?

I am in the process of tapping 100 trees on tubing. I am very new to this and I am trying to find an inexpensive/safe way to hold my sap. If I bought a new clean rubbermaid garbage can from Home Depot and used it for this year only do you think that would be ok?

thats what i have done for three years. I pack the out side with snow and store it out side on the back side of the garage out of the sun and dip out of that works great
    Backyard sapper

Mason 2X4 XL with blower
    12x24 post and beam shack
    30 taps on 5-Gallon buckets
    134 taps on tubing into the shack
    15-30 gallons a year for family and friends

No I wouldn't recommend it. Trash cans are made of recycled plastic. I checked with rubbermaid on these 2 yrs ago and they said they are not food grade for storage. Incidental contact only. But rubbermaid does have whole food storage section that I would look into.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

The BRUTE Series by Rubbermaid is NSF rated food grade. They work really well for me!

I used a garbage can for 3 years before i got schooled here on the trader. I would not use it now.

http://www.rubbermaidproducts.com/pd...ial-order.aspx
    This will tell you what you need to know
    http://www.homedepot.com/Cleaning-Tr...atalogId=10053
    This is what Home Depot has. On there sight the yellow one is the only one that said,This yellow container is USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group Listed, assisting in complying with HACCP guidelines and is certified to NSF Standard #2 and Standard #21.
    Brian

It takes a littel looking into but as long as the garbage cans are not made of recycled plastics they usually will do for sap storage.

I used 2 new clean non-recycled cans the 1st two years I made syrup and they worked real well. I was making syrup for my self also.

Some thing to think about though is to look for some of those white 55gal barrels that juices and food stuff come in. There is a guy near by to me that sells them for $10. They are way cheaper than I a good garbage can. You could just cut the top off and use it as a lid, that way you can clean the inside easier. There also are barrels out there with screw tops I haven't been able to find them locally but you may be able to find some or someone who knows where to find them.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Default 275 gal tote may be the answer

12fancher, try to find a 275 Gallon IBC Totes...the place I get mine from claims their totes had a sugar based substance in them - used by major soda pop companies to hold their pop syrup then All totes have been steam cleaned and triple rinsed out...cost around $60.00
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brttnway; 02-09-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: to add statement of food grade

Yes there are several "Barrels guys" around here and all the barrels they range from $10-$20. I have a few whit barrels that I use. they had Sushi seasoning in them (Sugar and rice Vinegar) but its very very sweet. After I cleaned them out there wasn't even a smell at all.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I have used the gray rubbermaid cans that are stamped NSF #2 safe for food contact. I have also seen white ones around too, also stamped NSF #2.

I have yet to have any of these "barrel guys" or "tote guys" tell me EXACTLY what was previously stored in them. They all say it's food grade, or had flavoring agents, or had a "non-toxic" substance, but they never tell me the exact contents. And, for me, non-toxic is NOT the same as food-safe.

If the shipping/freight is not too much, I'll be ordering brand new barrels from U.S. Plastic Corp.
    Dave
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf flat-pan
    Homemade float valve
    100 taps last year, hoping for 125 this year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast