+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Season West Virginia Mapler

Collected 585 gallons on Wed evening that got boiled off on Thursday and collected 210 gallons Friday evening and 270 Saturday morning and all of it was boiled off on Saturday. Weather has been extremely tough and no deep freeze since before I tapped 3+ weeks ago. So far in 3 weeks 2610 gallons of sap and ratio appears to be about 52+ to 1 which goes hand in hand with a lot of warm weather and just a few minor freezing nights. Lot of sap has been cloudy from a lot of days in 50's and 60's but I canned off everything last night and so far 16 gallons of light and 30 gallons of Medium. Expected the syrup to be darker from the cloudy sap but it stayed light and lighter flavor.

Hoping for a decent run next 3 days after today as it is below freezing now and supposed to be 21 tonight and 24 tomorrow night.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Nice snow blanket this afternoon and evening on top of a good rain. Looks like a good run for tomorrow once it thaws.

Picked up 370 gallons this evening that ran last 2 days and and left about 50 gallons on the north side. Nearly 4 weeks without a deep freeze but getting a few nights in the mid to upper 20's and getting some sap. Up to 3,000 gallons of sap in 24 days. North side taps just been in for 8 days and picked up 210 this evening off of the 225 on the north side and left about 50 more gallons on the north side. Hoping they keep running good as 3.5 weeks of warm weather has put a hurting on the south side taps. Couple inches of rain over the next 48 hours and hopefully some colder temps.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

PIcked up 560 gallons on Tues and Wed and boiled it off on Wed and got about 8 gallons of syrup out of 560 gallons of sap. Worst sugar content I have ever seen. Gathered 660 more gallons yesterday and sugar content was better but not good. Haven't had a deep freeze in 4+ weeks and yesterday was 4 weeks since I had tapped on south side and appears we are about done. Temps pushing 70's this week and no deep freezes in sight. Sugar content would likely be a result of minimal freezing temps as it has only been below 25 two times in 4 weeks and that was only 2 nights it got to 23 for a short period of time. Longest growing season last year we have ever had and probably the most sunshine in a spring and summer we have ever had. Just goes to show no matter how good the growing season is it all depends on weather during sugaring season. 3830 gallons of sap in 4 weeks and less than 70 gallon of syrup. North side taps only been in 13 days and hopefully can get some cold weather in the next couple of weeks as I have 230 taps on the north side that are still fresh.

Another factor in the low sugar content would have to be a ton of rain we have gotten over the past three weeks. I think the trees have been just sucking up the water everywhere.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon ,
    I doing the push boil today and start washing the tapps , will post results when finished but i am seeing 80 to 1 or better. Thank you for posting , I thought this was just my woods, whew , . This is my first season in WV and was beginning to wonder if we had made a hugh blunder setting syrup production up here ....

ED
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    3x12 dalliare & hoods & preheater
    300 ro & vacuum
    Ls 4 wheel Drive 58 horse
    kabota 4 wheel drive 20 horse
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

Ed,

Last 3 years I was running aprox 48.5 to 1, so this is the worst sugar I have seen in 5 years. I am running about 56 to 1 this year.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Picked up just over 400 gallons yesterday evening and it puts season totals at almost 4250 gallons of sap. Very warm for next 10 days with basically no freezing in sight and appears we may be done this year. Hopefully things will change, just wait and see.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Boiled off 405 gallons on Tues and got down in high 20's for a few hours last night and sap started running again today on north side but got to 65 today with all sun, so probably won't last long. South sides are done, may get 50 gallon total from this run on them from 405 taps. Sugar content bad this year and will likely finish up somewhere between 55 to 60 to 1. Night or two just below freezing next week so will try to keep going. Lots of days in last 5 weeks in 60's but north side taps only been in 2.5 weeks, so they should be good for a couple of more weeks if we can get a little cold weather.

4230 gallons of sap thru Tues.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon,
    Send some of those freezing days my way please. Have you heard anything from Ernie over at Peterstown, also the Dr. in Nicholas County? Just curious? I seen a YouTube Video of someone making syrup in Calhoun County, any idea who they are? Henry told me about a new guy in Salem, WV in Harrison County, His name is Steve Coleman, I believe he tapped over 300 taps this year but has the potential to go to 1500. I have been pondering a WV get together sometime this Summer or Fall at a central location, probably Flat Woods, I will PM you with other thoughts on that subject when the season is over and cleaned upped.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Mark,

Haven't talked to Ernie Galford to see if he is making any syrup. He has about 1500 taps but his health isn't very good anymore so not sure if he is making any. Been meaning to call him, just been crazy. Talked to Dr Greenburg a few times, he is wanting me to run a couple gallon of his syrup thru the filter press. He has some crazy woman that is convinced that running his syrup thru a filter press with totally change the flavor even though I have told him it wouldn't, just make it lighter. I think he is planning on getting a press for next year. Never heard of Steve Coleman but a lot of guys making syrup in WV I don't know. Larry Harris finished up earlier this week and they made about 87 or 88 gallons off of 420 taps which is down for them.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast