+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First boil 2011

Look at Johnny Cuervo's pictures. He made a pre heater that works real well, out of copper and in contact with the stack. He even regulates the temperature.
    On my evaporator I must shut down when I have 18 gal of sap in the head tank. Then when the fire burns out I have ended at the perfect level. It will just take time to find where you need to shut down.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Maple Flats
    Thanks, I'll check out those pictures. The first time I boiled I run the sap down to low and the batch scortched before the fire died out. The next night I stopped it with 8 inches in my head tank (55 gal drum) and it worked out just about right. By the time the fire died I still had a few inches in the head tank and no scortch.
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

David your a quick study. Sounds about right with the amount of sap you left in the tank for "flooding" the pans at night.
    I placed a mark on my sap gage showing when to stop firing.
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

It went real well today. Just have got back in the house from cooking all evening and entertaining passerbys. Had a lot stop to check out the action. At 2PM we had 150 gal of sap and we started cooking. Almost pushed a batch out before we again ran out of sap. It would just float the hydrometer about 1/2 inch out of the syrup. Really too thin to register on the hydrometer. Tomorrow will be the day. I had to take my four wheeler down into the woods at 9pm and check the tank. still running.

I went ahead and wrapped the copper coil preheater with sheet metal to help hold in the heat. It raised the temp up to about 69degrees from the 35 it is in the tank, still not hot enough. Tomorrow I will line it with ceramic wool and see if that helps.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

lpakiz Guest

AFretired,
    In a pinch, cover the tubes with tin, then wrap it with fiberglass building insulation.

I'm interested in those tips about the copper! I did a test run with my barren evap today and the water coming out of the copper was hardly heated up at all!
    2011-73 taps, Barrel evaporator, Made 16 Gallons, http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/palmer4th/
    2012-100-120 taps, flat pan 2x6 http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/...Sugar%20Shack/
    2013- 150 taps, added blower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlowhYM0as

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12