+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Food Grade Buckets

Default Food Grade Buckets

I found plastic 5 gallon food grade buckets for sale but they had grape juice in them. Do you think that will change the flavor of the sap? The buckets have been cleaned out and have little to no smell of the grape juice in them now.

Seems to me that if you can't smell what used to be in there you'll be fine.
    2x6 raised flue at a buddies operation from '99-'04
    2.5x8 Grimm Lighting at buddies '05-'06 900 taps
    Amish built drop flue 2x6 at our own operation since 2007 ~200 taps
    2011 - Bought buddies Grimm Lightning 2.5x8 raised flue, 407 taps out as of 2/10/11
    Now up to 557 as of 2/27/11
    1967 Tucker Sno-Cat 442-A
    1976 Thiokol 2100B
    I have to be off my rocker

If it were me I'd pick up a couple and put some water in them for a day. Then pour the water off and see if you can smell or taste the grape juice. If you can smell or taste it then the buckets would be a no-go in my opinion.

Default source for buckets

I have been looking too, and found food-grade buckets fairly inexpensively at the local ace, but I also found this manufacturer:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...arentcatid=687

If you buy enough to get the discount it can offset much of the delivery cost.

Rick

I have been hitting up the bakeries in the local grocery stores and they have given me all the buckets I need. Sometimes they want to charge .50 or 1.00 but it is still cheaper than buying them brand new.

Now I am totally turned off of cakes made in bakeries... that frosting is pure grease

I've got four of the local supermarkets, with bakeries, saving buckets for me. They are not all uniform size, but nothing beats free! Hopefully, by the end of this season I'll have enough to expand next year with a bunch left over for storage.
    -----------------------
    Bill Smith (Papa Smiff)
    • Hoping to build 2x4 with AOF & AUF
    • Looking for trees to tap in my suburban wasteland
    Hopes for 2014: Talk to neighbors about tapping trees behind their houses, and nearby roadside trees.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Store some dog crap in them for a few weeks then they wont smell like grape juice. Then get some pet sanitizer that takes out dog crap smell and your good to go..............SHUT UP CHUCK

+ Reply to Thread