+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big sap week coming?

Default Logan County

Weather looks good to start tapping on the 11th. We might get all 5,000 tapped by the 13th and have a good run the next week!
    Last edited by William B; 02-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.

All the lines are fixed, a couple more saddles to put on and then it is time to fire the drill up. Well, have to clean the tank first!! Hook the vac pump up and we are tapping. Hope to get enough sap to start boiling on Sunday. Shouldn't be a problem. Looks to be a fairly good week this week. 50's toward the end of the week, then a break next week with colder temps moving back in. We shall see. A couple of the nights are supposed to be about 40. Not liking that too much, but hey, its time. Working in the woods all day today really wore me down. That dang ice on top of the snow is terrible.

Default 50 buckets this morning

50 buckets tapped this morning and the sap started flowing at 11am. 10 miles south of martinsburg ohio.

Default tapped in martinsville,oh

we got out a 130 taps today ! looking like a great next couple of days. can't wait to smell that sweet vapor !

I got out 70 taps today (35 buckets / 35 bags). I had spinal surgery in November and can only tap in my own woods where it is close and flat. I have a couple niece’s who will tap some trees at their place so I may get up to 90 taps total. That is a big reduction, but I am happy to be back in the woods! It is running nicely, but I am afraid the nights here will be too warm beginning tomorrow night. I should have a nice first run though.
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

Got done tapping one woods at around 4 the evening. It was running pretty good. A little too cold though. The lines were freezing up fairly quickly. Supposed to be a little warmer tomorrow, so we are hoping to be boiling tomorrow evening but may have to wait until Monday. We will see tomorrow. Still have a couple hundred to put out tomorrow. We will fire the vac pump up in the morning while we finish tapping. I was pretty pleased though. After we fixed a few small leaks we were getting 25" at the releaser. We get the taps in and then do some much needed clean up in the sugar house.

Tapping today. First the gods give us weather too cold. Then too warm. The weather guesser is saying temperatures in the mid fifties by the middle of next week. An end to the season?

Thumbs up May the sap be with you!!

We finished the 4th main line laterals today and ran the 1 1/4" line for vacuum pump. Sunday we will be out tapping 1,000 for buckets and hooking up the vacuum pump and releaser. Hope to tap the 500 trees for vacuum and 1,000 for buckets on Monday. Then only have to tap 2,000 more for buckets on Tuesday providing we get enough workers so we can collect and tap on the same day.

Beweller, looking at TWC 10 day it is saying real warm last half of this week but back to good temps next Sunday till Tuesday.
    Still the middle of Feb. so I don't think season over. Just hope the temps this week don't thaw the trees to much this week. If temps stay like this till Oct. I will Have to send a letter of apology to Mr. Gore.
    Going back to see what got last night, sak on tree in yard was still dripping at 10:30 last night.
    Mel
    24"x57" homemade evaporator
    with forced air
    24"x24" syrup pan with hood
    24"x33" drop flue pan with hood and pre-heater
    Homemade 12 gallon canner with steam heater
    UV light for 2011
    homemade RO for 2012 (no more raw sap for me)
    Added 2nd RO membrane in 2013
    Gas powered Gast Vacuum Pump
    Built RO room for 2020

I wouldn't say the season is over for a couple warm nights. Heck, I just tapped so it better not be. Next week looks like it is going to get cold again, according to the 15 day forecast. So it looks to be mid 30's and lows in the 20's. I just finished up all my tapping today. Got permission to tap another woods here today that wasn't planned at all. Pretty happy about that. Next, I will be going and trying to get that on vac for next year. Vac pump is gonna run all night tonight and all day tomorrow. It is pretty windy, that seems to be slowing sap flow a bit. I will be boiling tomorrow evening for sure. So my pans will be sweet for the big run coming later in the week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12