+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1525262728293031323334353637383940414243444555 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping 2011

ya know...I would have been ok with ending this season WITHOUT burning my pan.

Got talking to dad and forgot to remove the plug. ARGH.

soaking in acid for the night...at least it was the puckered one that I burnt the last time.
    -Brian-
    1st generation sugarmaker
    A wonderful wife, 9 children...
    www.sweetwoodmaple.com

250 Taps on Vacuum for '21
    Welch DuoSeal 1397 w/2HP vacuum pump
    Homemade PVC electric releaser
    D&G 3x10 Drop Flue
    2 x 4 Cherry Burrell flat filter tank
    Apartment Stove fired Phaneuf Canner

Thumbs up

Welcome to the "Burn't pan club" of the year Brian!!

We finished off 35 gallon today and collected about 550 gallons of 1.5% - boiled 7.5 gallon this evening. Going tomorrow morning and checking lines after the snow storm...got about 8-10 inches here today.Will refuel the gens and get ready for the next one

Jim
    Maple consultant for 50 years

Man you folks have been busy!
    We get to rest tonight. I did not even look in a sap container
    We have made 96 gallons of syrup mostly light grade. Much better on qty and grade this year.
    Burnt 4 cord of wood and keeping our fingers crossed that the front pan holds. Maybe getting 100+ gph.
    I agree with Brian. A break sounds real good. I hope to make syrup, weather permitting, for another 3 weeks if we get the weather and the taps stay open.
    We have our Taste and Tour, Maple Open House March 19 and 20 so we are also making product for that event. Usually have 200 to 300 folks come thru and visit that weekend. We made crumb, maple mustard, BBQ and cream so far. {cream machine will be for another thread}
    Plowed 8 inches of partly cloud from the drive tonight.

Keith Talbot also did the flaming pan thing on Wed and now has a new front pan in place. I need to go see it in the morning.
    I boiled 100 gallons of sap for him so he would have room to gather, while the pan was being built.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I took the day off work today, we had 15 kindergartners in for a tour and pancakes in the sugarhouse at 9 am, then 35 highschoolers in for a tour at 1 pm. Got another 700 gal of sap, total over 14,000 and we hit the 200 gal of syrup milestone tonight. Sugar content is still terrible, hoping for another week at least of sap.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Just plugging along here. I'm boiling now. I made an adjustment to the firebox tonight that seems to be working. I took out my air under fire manifold I made and am just pumping the air right in the front the way Dan W sold it to me, and that was the ticket, I guess don't fix it if it ain't broke would apply here!

Anyway last night I made another gallon, tonight I have made about that much so far and I'm going to be out here for a while yet. I collected about 50 gallons of sap and tested it it came out to 1.5 so i guess I didn't get as much rain in the buckets as I thought, so I'm going to boil it.

I'm with Paddy mountain I think the first few days of this week will be about it for me too, unless I run out of wood before then.
    6 year Backyard producer
    2 little sap haulers
    leader half pint clone, wood fired
    50 buckets or so
    http://photobucket.com/albums/x473/Sleauber/Turtle Creek Maple Syrup

Made almost 8 gallons between yesterday and today. Still have about 200 gallons of sap in the bulk tank but just to tired to keep going. It will be there tomorrow. That puts me at 21 gallons so far of mostly med amber. The new tractor is working well so far. Tonight is the first night I was able to get to all the buckets and barrels when I was collecting. Looks like it will just get below freezing tonight so maybe a run tomorrow.
    7,000 high vac taps
    6x16 leader evap
    2200 GPH Lapierre Turbo RO
    2400 GPH Springtech RO
    To many tanks to count

www.waysidemaplefarms.com
    http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k578/waysidemaple/

As of 3pm yesterday I had 2 buckets UNDERWATER!

If I can and if they still are I will get a pic in the morning.

We got so much rain down here that yesterday morning I went to check on the buckets for missing lids and found that I couldn't see buckets from the road, Then I looked more closely and saw the one bucket UPSIDE DOWN still on the tap!

The other was floating nearby. That means that hole is somewhere around 6' deep! This is in the middle of the woods, it is a small depression. It just filled up with water from all the rain. Not sure when I will be able to get to them, may JUNE!
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Well, you guys are keeping us reminded to pay attention Brian, If your hanging it up soon stop by. I'm going to boil for a least another week. We should have a couple of weeks of sap weather. I may sell sap to Jim.

I stopped at Old State Farms yesterday. Joe was boiling. Sounds like the season is going good for him. I also stopped at Jim's and sponged some more DE. Looking forward to a decent run today. I should be boiling this afternoon and most of tomorrow.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Here are the pics of my buckets under water. I took the pic this morning. I see that the water has gone down a little. The buckets was hang completely upside down now it is on it's side.
    Ok maybe I will be able to get at it some time in April not June!

These buckets were put at about 3' above the ground!
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

We finally got caught up yesterday bottled 6 more gallons. We now have a total of 37 gallons. That is a lot of boiling on a 30x60 flat pan. Went through tons of wood may run out before the season is over. It sure has been a hetic season. Taking a well deserved rest to day.

Andyp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1525262728293031323334353637383940414243444555 ... LastLast