+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drop in boil rate

Default drop in boil rate

I have a small 2x3 and have been boiling at about 8 gallons per hour but yesterday my boil rate was under 6 I am thinking it might have been weather related with all the rain and fog in area does that make sense?
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

With rain and fog, the humidity is around 100% and this will definitely affect the boil rate as the water just doesn't want to evaporate.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Did your pan concentration change?

I.E. If you start with a pan full of fresh sap then continue to boil until you have more concentrate, your evaporation rate goes down slightly as the sugar concentration goes up.

Brian
    -Brian-
    1st generation sugarmaker
    A wonderful wife, 9 children...
    www.sweetwoodmaple.com

250 Taps on Vacuum for '21
    Welch DuoSeal 1397 w/2HP vacuum pump
    Homemade PVC electric releaser
    D&G 3x10 Drop Flue
    2 x 4 Cherry Burrell flat filter tank
    Apartment Stove fired Phaneuf Canner

I have a barometer in my sugarhouse and watch it closely. I set a pointer on it to what the reading is when I first start. then I set my drawoff therm. for the correct density. as I boil thru the day if the barometer rises, my boil rate goes down due to needing a higher temp to boil for the rise in pressure. essentially the same goes if the pressure drops, so does the boiling point ergo more boiling rate. I adjust the therm up or down depending on that barometric pressure change.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Maple Flats Guest

Jim, sounds like what I was going to do next season. Already earmarked the barometer in one of the dream books, forgot whick one but I can find it when ready to order. Great idea!

I've bought a couple good barometers off ebay for $5 each. There is always a lot of them for sale and it's easy to get one for under $10 plus shipping. They are not the fancy ones with boiling point of water like the maple dealers sell but they are just as accurate and built the same. You just have to calibrate it to the boiling point of water yourself. I like the german made round ones that are about 6 inches in diameter. I'm always looking on ebay for maple equipment and got good deals on stainless pipe and fittings, stainless valves, and other stuff. Just find out the shipping charge and going rate to prevent over-spending.

Seibold's Sugarhouse Guest

Hello Again,
    It's been a while since I logged on. All this Barm. pressure talk has me thinking. I was quite frustrated this year after buying a new Arch w/blower, Building a new Sugarhouse, and adding a hood w/preheater. My boil rate still didn't seem to break 20 gph. I have a 2x3 drop flue and a leader half pint 24"x33" for my syrup pan, everything sits on a 2x6 arch. My preheater has about 18' of 3/4 copper pipe and the temp. of the sap coming out of the preheater was about 150-160. I ran the blower at full power all the time unless the flue pan was about to boil over, (which it did a few times mainly when I put too much wood in the box) My depth in both pans averaged 1". My flue pan was custom made by D&G and doesn't have any float boxes my pans are connected by 1/2 copper pipe and ball valves. I used mostly hard wood to fire. Seems Like something must be wrong with my setup, from reading everything on this site and elsewhere I should be getting at least 25gph????
    Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??
    Jason

i think u may be blowing the fire out the pipe. i got 22gph with my 2x6 without the blower. try putting a pyrometer in the stack, and keep the temps below 1000 or ur just blowing ur fire right up the stack

Jason, I'll have to look on the map and see how far you are from me, I would love to hop on the motorcycle and swing down and take a look at your arch and see if I can figure it out for you, Penslytucky may have hit it on the head, we could do a test fire if you have things still set up, your air space under the pans may be too much ... draft may be too much.

hard to say without seeing the setup
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Default barometers

Curious to know how much the barometric presure affects the boiling. Does it change the temp of which you draw off?
    Is it worth having one for a small operation.
    12x16 house
    2x4 leader pan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast