+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: credit cards

Default credit cards

Been thinking about accepting credit cards at the sugarhouse this spring. Anyone else taking plastic and can recommend a processing company? Pros-cons? I know they take 2-3% of the transaction, but If it gets someone to buy that extra quart then I'm okay for that. Also will help with the mail-order thing.

One thing I'll need to do is run it wirelessly- looks like thats pretty do-able.

any input appreciated.

-eric
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

I've been thinking of the same thing and saw an ad on tv the other night for a cell phone that allows you to swipe a Credit card, if you're thinking of wireless that is the easiest way to go.

Other folks I know just write a receipt and process through paypal at the end of the day
    A new generation of sugarmaker

Making Syrup with friends on a 2x6 and too many taps

I was told that it is the year around fee for the machine that gets you!! So have stayed away from it. Will be interested to see what others have to say about it!! JimL.
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

Have been thinking also about this.
    Just trying to be more consumer friendly for customers. So much plastic is being used today. I was wondering if we are loosing some sales due to just cash or check sales? I will be watching this too.

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I plan on accepting cards this year. I look at it as just one more tool to increase profits. On average people will spend more money if you accept a credit card. I havent signed up yet with a company but I have about 12 inquiries to look at and will decide which one to go with this week.

My local bank offers machines that allow you to process credit cards. The money is directly deposited into your checking account. Might be something to look into before you look into 3rd party cc machines.

Jason

My bank offers the same thing but no machine. You go online to your account and manually input the credit card and money goes to the account you have setup for the transactions but keep in mind the bank gets a fee I think its 3%. Cant remember been awhile since Ive used it.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Have no experience accepting cards - just using them (sigh...)
    However, I think it's been pretty much determined that people spend more when they're paying with credit cards.
    Anytime you make it easier for people to buy things - they buy things!

You might get more traffic (especially if they see the credit card logos on your signage) and people might buy a quart over a pint. But I think where where credit cards really shine is when incidentals and impulse buys are available.

Have plenty of value-added products and maple-related items (magnets, serving pitchers (for maple syrup of course), cookbooks, maple-related postcards, etc.) arranged around the cash register.

Keep track of what moves and if you earn more, great! If not, go back to cash and checks.

Typically when you have to key in a transaction rather than swiping a card through a reader you will have to pay a higher rate. Also if you do Farmers markets like we do a wireless machine may be worthwhile. A few weeks ago I saw this new company called squareup.com that gives you a free card swiper that plugs into a smart phone or an ipod. I was interested but don't have either one.

Smile credit cards

Gentlemen; We have stayed away from the cards. Here is what we found out:

1. You will be charged 1-5% for ever purchase that you use a card so you must adjust your prices or you lose on every sale with a card.
    2. With the machines there is an access fee with most , for instance you will be charged .50 cents or more per transactions with the machines if you don't own it.
    3. Most companys will sell or rent you the machines, The ones we looked at were $25.00 per month to rent.
    Given the fact we are trying to keep our prices down so the common folks can afford our products we chose not to go the card route.Granted we may lose a few sales but have found out that the majority of the folks we deal with will find cash or a check if they want syrup.
    Just our two cents

Jim
    Maple consultant for 50 years

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast