+ Reply to Thread

Thread: steam away pan questions

Default steam away pan questions

I searched around a bit but figured I'd ask.

1. I have a phaneuf 2x6 drop flue. with 2x4 flue pan will the steam away be compatable with it.

2. Do I need a hood with the steam away. if not will it make it less efficient.

3. my 2x6 without any alterations to it can boil on average 30-35 gph hiting 40 gph when the earth is spinning just perfectly...what kind on increase in GPH can I expect from a steam away.

4. Does the steam away tend to produce a lighter syrup both in color and flavor?

Just looking for options some time down the road other than an RO or a bigger evap, as I grow.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Steamaways can be made to fit any flue pan. They are all custom built per order. I boil for my neighbor now, he added a Steamaway last year on a 4x14 small brothers set of pans 8' flue pan. We added about 75% to our thru put. Leader says 65% I think in there catalog. The nicest part was the hot condensation water it puts out. We ran a 1 1/2" pipe at least half full the whole time we where boiling.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

A steamaway can be ordered to fit any flue pan. I think a steamaway might work without a hood because it in effect is a hood arrangement with steam tubes in it, but it seems like a poor idea. Access inside the flue pan would be far more complicated I think. Why would you want one without a hood? A steamaway will increase your rate from 50-75% without any more fuel, just the power to run a blower. #4. NO!
    While a steamaway is a great piece of equipment, an RO will give you far more bang for your buck. In your size at best a steamaway will add 20-30 gph and the same money for a RO will give you over 200 maybe over 300 gph increase. Look at Waterguy sap units and maybe others too in a good price.
    Our founding sponsers carry the Waterguy RO, Mapleguys.com
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yes a steamaway will work with your fluepan but unless you happen to find one that will fit it will have to be special made.

A hood is optional. Its main benefit is to get the steam out of the sugarhouse.

They claim a 75% increase in evaporation with a steamaway. At 30 gph without steamaway you are looking at a possible 50 gph with.

A steamaway might have a small influence on syrup grade but the larger factors there are cleanliness and a cold sap season.
    Jon
    2 1/8 x 8 Leader Inferno Arch W/ steamaway , hood and Marcland auto drawoff
    M6040 Kubota w/ cab and lift
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    http://jwhitjw.spaces.live.com/photo...D0BF1C18E!116/

With a steam away the best that you can expect is a 75% gain in efficiency. On some steam away/evaporator configurations the syrup will tend to be lighter and on others it will tend to be darker. A steam hood is a must have with or without a steam away. The evaporator will work without it but it is nice to get the steam out of the sugar house.

You will get the biggest bang for your buck with an RO machine. When I concentrate into the upper teens I can draw off as much syrup in an hour with my 2x6 as the guy up the road does with his 4x14 with a steam away.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

thanks for the input guys I am OK for now but in a few years I hope to be up around 500-600 taps or so, slowly adding taps each year until I exhaust my property and my neighbor's property.

But just looking around a bit to see what some options are. I think once I get up to 350+ taps on vac. I will start to have some have some long boils and have to split that much more wood. Which I am planning 330-350 for 2012 and close to 400 for the 2013 season. So I am guessing 2012 will be my last year for just a stock evap.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Red be a man lol I will be around 800 this year with about 200 of that on vac and It isnt enough. I am still running mine stock. Yeah maybe Im stupid but last year I was bored all season with same amount just no vac. But to answer your question yes you could run the steamaway without a hood. It would be kind of a waste however to not put a hood on it after spending the amount of money on the steamaway because the effeceincy of it would not be up to par. If your like me and like the traditional steam filled sugarhouse then just run the pipe back into the sugarhouse lol. I personally have no desire for an RO. None whatsoever. Just something about them takes away from the satisfaction of making syrup for me. Like catching a big old fat wall hanger salmon that has no fight in him and all you do is reel him in.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

+ Reply to Thread