+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sources for ceramic blanket/board insulation

Hey Clan check around locally for someone who does pottery. Ask them where they get their firebrick and ceramic blanket and other kiln supplies.

I was going to buy some ceramic blanket off of ebay but it was hard to pay the shipping fees fro the roll, about $50! And you had to but the entire roll which is 50 sqft if I remember.

The local guy that I found would sell me either a full roll or a cut roll. The full roll was cheaper/ft. When it was al said and done I paid about the same per foot as ebay but I helped out a local business.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by BoarsNest View Post
    Here's where I bought my blanket and brick. The blanket I bought was end cuts that I put in pieces in my arch. The end cuts were pretty reasonable. I don't know if they would ship but you could call and find out.

http://www.indfirebrick.com/
    That's where I purchased my insulation and they told me that they do ship.

Last year I re-bricked and found a kiln / pottery supply house that had vermiculite board. This is a rigid board is a pretty good insulator and cuts easily with a utility knife.

Cost for 1" x 1' x 3' boards in boxes of 54 sq ft was $ 4.09 per square foot, FOB Buffalo.

I sold the evaporator and when we dismantled it to load and ship it the boards looked exactly like they did they day I put them in.

Getting insulating values to compare to ceramic board has been a challenge but my impression is that ceramic boards are better inuslation, but the best prices on ceramic I can find are over $ 6. a sq ft.

I'm rebuilding a new to us 2-1/2 x 8 and still scratching my head which to get.

If anyone has any insulating values for comparison, I'd love to see them.

I'm in the same boat. I need firebrick and archboard.
    I searched Google under "firebrick" and got scattered results. A masonry guy told me I want "refractory supplies". When I Googled that, I got better results.

The upshot is that I found Cutter Atlantic in Woburn. Their website is just a placeholder, so I used this thing called a "telephone" and talked to Tom Cutter. Was very helpful. They have archboard, firebrick, and cement, plus they are local enough. Phew!

I'll swing by there early next week. We'll see if it pans outs...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Getting insulating values to compare to ceramic board has been a challenge but my impression is that ceramic boards are better inuslation, but the best prices on ceramic I can find are over $ 6. a sq ft.
    When I asked the refractory supply house which was a better insulator inch for inch he told me that blanket was by far better than board.

I can believe that blanket it better. I am uneasy with the idea that the blanket may compress and lose its insulation.

The other issue is that any non-rigid insulation will compress. I don't know about anyone else but most of the time when I or my helpers are firing they tend to toss wood in pretty vigorously. If the bricks are backed by a compressible blanket, they'll start to loosen ... and compress the blanket behind the bricks.

More head scratching ... gotta stop this ... going bald

I cannot remember the exact numbers but these are real darn close. Arch board is rated for 1700 degrees and ceramic blanket is 2100 degrees. Unless im doing some backwards math isnt bascoms price of 8.75 a peice cheaper than any previous amount listed? I searched for months while I awaited my new evap. couldnt find it any cheaper and bought bricks and refactory cement from local concrete plant cheap.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I used the arch board that I got from Bascom's in the evap behind the fire brick.
    I felt the same way as others here do that the blacket would compress over time. I was even going to use just blanket in the rear half of the evap but was advised not to for easy of cleaning. SO I put in arch board and more bricks.
    I did use splits for fire brick.

The only thing I used the blanket for is to protect the wood around the smoke stack where it goes thru the roof.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 40to1 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I need firebrick and archboard.
    I searched Google under "firebrick" and got scattered results. A masonry guy told me I want "refractory supplies". When I Googled that, I got better results.

The upshot is that I found Cutter Atlantic in Woburn. Their website is just a placeholder, so I used this thing called a "telephone" and talked to Tom Cutter. Was very helpful. They have archboard, firebrick, and cement, plus they are local enough. Phew!

I'll swing by there early next week. We'll see if it pans outs...
    I bought my fire brick at Popular Precast Products on Main St. in Bellingham. They have splits and fulls. I didn't get cement when I was there, but I'm sure they have it. It might be a little closer for you.

I don't think they have arch board, though. If that other place has ceramic blanket, let me know. I think I have enough to finish, but it would be nice to know if there was something nearby.

The trick for me now is to find vermiculite somewhere. I'm such an idiot for putting it off. All the garden centers are closed now.

Sean

I will be on my way monday morning to indifirebrick.com in Grand Rapids to pick up ceramic blanket and firebrick. The ceramic blanket was very resonable for there end cuts. 40x48 pieces put in a box for a total of 50 sq. feet per box for $50 and fire brick was about .$50 a brick cheaper then I could get locally. When you need over 200 bricks thats a big difference.
    Mike
    1000 taps on vac
    Delaval 78 vac pump
    rebuilt Vermont arch
    Smoky lake maple custom pans
    4 x 11 reverse flow
    Smoky Lake auto-draw
    Smoky lake 2x4 finisher
    wes fab short bank filter press
    600 gallon Zero tank and 4 cage tanks
    650 gallon surge tank
    Deer Run Maple 500 GPH RO