+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom Tubing Install

Hybrid View

Default Custom Tubing Install

I am weighing the options in dealing with replacing an entire tubing system this fall.

Option #1. Do it all myself and will probably take 2 years to complete.

#2 Have the whole woods custom tubed.

#3 Hire only the surveying, i.e. layout done.

#4 Hire the surveying, layout, and mainlines and I do the rest.

I am asking: Does Leader or someone reputable do just the layout, marking, and or only mainline install? I am quite capable of installing the 5/16" lines and drops. I am having an issue with where to run the mainlines etc. I have quite a screwed up topographical woods and am interested in some professional assistance. If anyone has had only partial work done by a professional, I'd like to hear. Thanks. What is the cost for partial jobs? You don't have to be specific but a ballpark range.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

professional installs for just mainline is .20 per foot for wire and .20 for mainline. Plus materials. Surveying the woods wood cost you per hour plus transportation.
    Thad

Around here the dealers will come out and do a consult no charge, with the assumption that you will buy the tubing from them.

Nick
    3x12 Grimm
    2200 on vacuum
    woodmizer LT40HD25
    6 little sap haulers
    Facebook

Jason Grossman who is member on her does custom installs. Might PM him.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Looks like Thad knows what he is doing for sure. There is also Glen Goodrich in Cabot, VT.(802-426-3388) He has been out that way in the past. His setups were tested at the Proctor Maple Research center so he has the respect of those individuals at least.
    30"x10' Vortex w/Max Combo Pans
    Marcland Auto Draw
    1100 on vacuum
    CDL 600 RO
    JD 5075 (Fransguard 3507)
    Sap Haulers: AJ, JF, and wife when available...

Mark ... are you looking for contour mapping of your woods? Can be done, ... but it costs more than a couple shillings. I work for a company that lays down survey control then flys over taking aerial imagery to make stereopairs for either 1 or 2-foot contours. Accuracy is done to half the contour interval. That means if you wanted 1-foot contours the accuracy is 6 inches or better (usually within 3-4 inches of the ground). So along with the elevational surface and contours, you could get individual trees mapped out and if one overlayed the position of the trees with the surface, one could conclude their own layout for branching the lines. Cost based on acreage and time. I'm not pushing it, but if you're interested in a ballpark quote I could ask the guy in our office that does the project estimating. jason

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by peckfarm View Post
    His setups were tested at the Proctor Maple Research center so he has the respect of those individuals at least.
    We have used several different commercial installers over the last decade, including Goodrich (Cabot, VT) and Corey (Fairfield, VT), and have also had some systems installed by various CDL, Leader, and D&G installers. In general we've been reasonably happy with them all.

It is important to realize that when we do hire commercially, we often have very specific recommendations the installers need to follow. Most of the time the systems are considerably different than what most people would install for the regular producer. Most important thing....whoever you work with you should make sure 1) they know exactly what you want, 2) agree on a price before they start, and 3) inspect their work as they go along and at the end of the job. Everybody stays happy that way.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread