+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Walnut

Default Black Walnut

Ok how many of you have ever tried tapping black walnut trees for their sap? I found out about it not long ago and went out on my place to look for the walnut tree. I knew I had some but did not realize just how many I have on my place. Just wondering if anyone has done this? Maple tapping in Kentucky (south western) could have started this past week but I am running way behind this year and am hoping to tap my trees on the 5th or 6th. I am installing new main line tubbing (taking way longer then I thought) I did tap some of the walnut trees and have boiled the sap down. It is a very good and sweet tasting syrup that has a slight nutty after taste. It is really good but the bad part is the sap runs the same time as my maple. So that causes a problem.

I have alot of black walnut trees on my land and I never thought of tapping a single one. I consider them too valuable to drill a hole in them. Last I checked the wood value of the was outstanding. But I am curious as to what the sap to syrup ratio is.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
    I have alot of black walnut trees on my land and I never thought of tapping a single one. I consider them too valuable to drill a hole in them. Last I checked the wood value of the was outstanding. But I am curious as to what the sap to syrup ratio is.
    The tap root is worth as much as the tree is. That root is used in making custom gun stocks.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

You would be spot on Fred. Had a very large one blow down a few years ago. Ended up selling the trunk roots and all to some wood broker. It was good money for that alone.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

i saw in lehmans they sell hickory and poplar syrups any try any of them

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
    i saw in lehmans they sell hickory and poplar syrups any try any of them
    hickory syrup is made from boiling the bark from "shag bark" hickory and adding sugar. Maybe the same for poplar?

I taped four Walnut trees and made about 1 pint of syrup. The sugar in the sap is pretty
    low, it tested at 1.2%. I got a jelly like substance around the edge of the pan. I don't
    know what it is. The syrup tastes good but verry different than maple.
    Gerry
    Leader 2x6 drop flue
    285taps
    185 on sugars
    no longer looking for more trees

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    The tap root is worth as much as the tree is. That root is used in making custom gun stocks.
    Is anyone out there aware of a contact or company name for the buyers of the walnut taproots? We have a handful of large walnut that were uprooted in a storm.

Thanks

Mark
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

sorry wrong post- removed

+ Reply to Thread