+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: January Journal

vermont maple school location
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
    No january warmups, snow, cold temps, no rain just a good old winter deep freeze like the days before Al Gore and Global warming lol.
    You and Patheron crack me up. It is way too cold here to do anything. Stay in the garage today and work on the sap trailer sounds good to me. I still have about 10 more lats to run, then put the drops in and we are ready for the BIGSAP. Can't come fast enough. Work called today and told me they had a couple jobs they want me to do in a couple of weeks, told them to let me know how that goes for them. I sure hope you are right about the big sap, I might be lookin for a job

Hyde Park is actually is actually in NY about 2 miles north of Poughkeepsie, a short ways east of the Hudson.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I went this morning and bought another 500' of 3/4 30P for branch line. That should be the end for this season on expanson. Too cold out with wind chill so I will just plow the sugarhouse out again, and try to make a quick, simple spooler for the tubing I bought. I have a rather simple idea I'm going to try. If it works I'll share the idea. Then I'm going to begin cleaning out the sugarhouse and getting it ready. Wow, I sure stash lots of STUFF in there in the off season. I need to build more storage building (s)
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yet another Hyde Park is in Vermont between Morrisville and Johnson.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Don't they call us "woodchucks" up here? Not "red necks? (No offense Wdchuck)
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

No offense taken! I dont mind being called a woodchuck OR a redneck- hence the name.
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations
    http://www.talbertsmaplefarm.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/TalbertsMapleFarm?ref=hl

Wow maple trader has picked up lately 6 pages and its only the 22nd. THe monthly journals are usully 3 pages. I went to the MMPA annual meeting today. I bought a new 2 handed tubing tool. It is going to make my life easier. I tryed it out and put in a few drops using a flashlight tonite. I got some arch gasket so I can put m evaporator back together. There was a workshop on grading syrup and off flavors that was pretty neat. All the syrups with off flavors that we tasted was bought off store shelves or entered in a contest so it reminded us to check all our syrup because it just takes one bad jug to turn away a customer forever.
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

well its been awhile, been a busy guy at VTC. told every one no im not sugaring this year, cant swing it while im in school, but gues what, i couldnt stay away form it. going to boil on weekends and my uncles going to take the sap produced during the week. vtc's got a maple production class taught by glen goodrich, thats my favorite class at college! went to maple school with the ol man today, learned that having my mainlines go up into the releaser 8" probably was really limiting vac to getting out to the rest of the woods because that created a sag out side the releaser that filled up and gas cant be transfered easily threw that, gues i f'd up there! but thats why you go to maple school! moving back to waitsfield next weekend! going to be nice living 50 ft away from my sugar place again. got alot to do yet, moving the tank thats in front of the sugar house to the back, putting a wood floor in from the pad out to the wall of the sugar house, putting in a couch, got some tubing to fix, some logging to do, told my mom's boy friend to plug the ol JD in so she'll start for me tomorrow morning, going to try to cut and pull some timber, maybe take out a few squirrels with the .22 i borrowed from my ol man today at maple school. sold him 2, 5 gal drums he gave me 3.30 a pound, i rounded it to $350 for the both of them, the bulk price is 2.80 so i must say i like doing buisiness with my ol man! keep warm guys, im probably going to be warming my hands on the tractor stack more than i will be logging ha! thank god for woolies and carhartt coats!
    Dan O'Shaughnessy

2007 jd5203
    Husqvarna 61, (2)Husqvarna 272XP, 23 and finally getting back into it after 2 long years away

DanO

Got most of the AOF finished today. Need to weld in nozzles. then put in ceramic blanket and brick. Lots to do still but it is comming!! 10 more inches of snow today so I think I may have a little time yet.
    Mike
    1000 taps on vac
    Delaval 78 vac pump
    rebuilt Vermont arch
    Smoky lake maple custom pans
    4 x 11 reverse flow
    Smoky Lake auto-draw
    Smoky lake 2x4 finisher
    wes fab short bank filter press
    600 gallon Zero tank and 4 cage tanks
    650 gallon surge tank
    Deer Run Maple 500 GPH RO
    https://www.facebook.com/WhaleysMapleSyrup?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast