PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of English tin?

Poursap
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I am looking at purchacing a new pan that is the exact size I have been looking for, for quite a while. The deal is it is made of English tin and I have no idea if it is food grade. I have attempted to find it on-line but have had no luck. Any Ideas about this metal, or any other food grade metal other than stainless steel for a pan?

smitty76
12-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Poursap, you need to talk to the doctor.

smitty76
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Dr Tim that is.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Prior to the use of SS, "english tin" was the choice for evaporator pans. There are many still in use and they make excellent syrup with a few precautions. The pans were soldered with lead solder so may be a source of lead contamination to your product. When cleaning these pans, don't clean all the niter off the seams as this exposes the lead.

Flat47
12-08-2010, 07:13 PM
English Tin was industry standard 30 years ago. It'll have 50/50 lead/tin solder and they are prone to rust and pin holes. Don't waste your time and money - invest in stainless pans. Take a look at some other recent threads about new pans for names of sources (WF Mason being one) to buy from.

red maples
12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
agreed, buy stainless welded pans. they will cost you a little more but in the long run it will be safe and take care of them and they will last you a lifetime.

DrTimPerkins
12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
agreed, buy stainless welded pans. they will cost you a little more but in the long run it will be safe and take of them and they will last you a lifetime.

English tin pans can make fine syrup as long as care is taken to prevent much rust in the off-season and to reduce lead in syrup. However I agree that it would probably be best just to go straight to stainless pans if at all possible.