PDA

View Full Version : Float Size vs. Float Box

user587
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
How much space should be around a float in a float box? For example, if a float box is 5" x 8" inside, what would the recommended float size be? I'm thinking of a stainless rectangular hollow float (with hollow tube upright). 1/4" all around? 1"? Would not want to have it fail due to getting jammed or stuck in the float box somehow.

Thanks - Scott

Thiems sugarshack
12-07-2010, 01:29 PM
In my evaporator the float is about 1 inch away fron the pan it never gets stuck the only thing is i dont have a float box it is in the first channel of the flue pan

Sugarmaker
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
My system is not factory but the clearance is about 1/4 inch. I think the float is about 6 x 11. I would think that you want to get as much area as possible. Without getting hung up that is.
Hope that helps.
Chris

Haynes Forest Products
12-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Mine is about 3/4" and when you put the float on the arm you then put in a spacer that take up the space that was needed to install the float. It keeps the float pushing stright up instead of rocking back and forth. You dont want the very limited up and down action of the float to be wasted going side to side. My float only moves about 1/4" during a full boil so its important that it sets up a rhythm.

Bucket Head
12-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I did'nt know anything about floats when I built my floatboxes. I did'nt think the "wobbling" that would take place with a bigger box was good, so I made mine with about a 1/4" spacing around them. They work great, but it is tricky getting them in and out with the small clearance area. Slightly larger spacing would have been a little better but you don't want them rattling around in there either. If I did it again I would keep the 1/4" spacing on the length of the float and make the box longer for getting the float in and out.

Steve

Big_Eddy
12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I need to make a float box for my evaporator. How about a few pictures of your setups showing the box, the float and the valve assembly. Just something to get the grey matter working.

Bucket Head
12-10-2010, 12:16 AM
There are some shots of my float boxes on my Photobucket page.

Steve

user587
12-10-2010, 06:58 AM
thank you all - I'm going to shoot for 1/4" - 3/8" all around - thanks for the tips!