PDA

View Full Version : Arch rebuild

whalems
12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Started working on the new to me 4' vermont arch. Got most of the framing done. and am getting ready for the sheeting and insulation and fire brick. attached are a few pics of the progress. and the new WF mason syrup pan and the new to me drop flue pan.

Sugarmaker
12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
whalems,
Nice start on the arch. Are you planning to have this ready for 2011?
thanks for posting the pictures. I also restored our arch so I have a idea of the work.
Regards,
Chris

whalems
12-06-2010, 08:34 PM
The plan is to have it ready for this year. Now if I could figure out how to put 72 hours into a 24 hour day I should be fine:lol: Mike

Thiems sugarshack
12-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi I was wondering where WF mason is located and how are there prices. Looking to see how much a 2 by 3 syrup pan with 4 sections would cost .iI you could get me contact info I would greatly appretiate it thanks-Jaret

Sugarmaker
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Mike,
Its a big project. but if you can carve out the time you might make it! Make sure you top rails are straight and level for your pans. I had a 3/8 in sag in mine that I finally got corrected this year:(
Hate to tell you that I worked about a year on putting our arch together. I did build hoods for the pans and a preheater and the stacks and the roof jacks also. But I did not have a sugar house to put it in so had to build that too.
Good luck and keep us posted. We will help motivate you!
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi I was wondering where WF mason is located and how are there prices. Looking to see how much a 2 by 3 syrup pan with 4 sections would cost .iI you could get me contact info I would greatly appretiate it thanks-Jaret

Jaret,

WF Mason is a member on her and that is his username and you can send him a PM. He is located in Maine and Bill has an excellent reputation and could likely get a syrup pan to you. Send him a PM.

whalems
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Chris, The plan is to just do the arch for this year then start adding the goodies as I go. I am planning to "plumb" for AOF but probably won't go to the expense of the high pressure blower this season. I will also be building some type of temporary shack for this season and a 24x24 sugarhouse is in the plans for next season. we shall see. I have the "sickness" bad:)

Jaret, www.wfmasonwelding.com is who built my pan. Bill Mason is located in Porter Maine prices where very good and his work is top notch. I would highly recomend him. He is a one man show though so if you are thinking of this year for a pan I would get ahold of him very soon.

Sugarmaker
12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Mike,
Sounds like when I got it. I had made syrup for years and when Dad passed I thought I would never make it again so just gave his buckets away. But while cleaning out the old sugar house I got the sickness really bad! The rest is history. I have met so many new friends locally and on the trader that it has been a very sweet ride!:)
Good luck with your maple projects.
Regards,
Chris

whalems
01-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Got the arch all sheeted and I am ready to start putting the AOF together. I want to order ceramic blanket for it as well but was uncertain of the thickness most use. Is 1/2 blanket thick enough? I will be using full brick in most of the arch. Thanks in advance for any help on this. Mike