PDA

View Full Version : Bascom's open house

GregMVT
04-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Is anyone planning on going to Bascom's open house on the 29th or 30th? I'm not sure yet if I can get out of work, but would like to go on the 29th and maybe meet some of the people from here. :)

Parker
04-19-2005, 04:25 AM
Ill be there on friday

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-19-2005, 06:50 AM
post edited

ANMAN
04-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Yeah, we'll be going on Friday to check out the tubing intallation demo. If anyone has trouble finding the place and you use the yahoo map's directions (through 10 different backroads after crossing the bridge in springfield), DO NOT use the camp good news road, it goes to a dead end at camp good news, basically you follow the next road up and over the hill and it brings you a hundred feet from bascom's driveway.

WF MASON
04-21-2005, 04:55 AM
I was at Bascom's the other day , David said they were able to get about 80% of their normal syrup production this year , I think tapping early was the key , when it did run the first of Feb. thoses people who were already tapped , Bascom's and a few others were able to 'save' the season. Several locals with pipelines told me next year the taps were going in 'early'. Makes sense I guess. With a poor syrup year behind us , Bruce was in an really good mood. Vermont trucks leavings had two and another had eight drums they had bought. If you have the orders , you've got to buy the syrup. Did I mention Bruce was in a good mood?

sweetwoodmaple
04-21-2005, 06:27 AM
As far as tapping early, I guess it just depends on your location this year. I was tapped by Feb 4 and did get great first runs. But, our temp around here this year doddled around freezing with not a lot of great temp swings expecially after the freeze up in early March. These temps created lousy running weather, but the bacterial still grows.

In contrast, I think those in states like Indiana and Ohio had a pretty good year. Also, some in the Catskills had good seasons as well. Again, really spotty.

So, my season lasted 7 weeks before the tap holes dried up and got 50% yield. I am not on vacuum yet, which would have probably gained me 25% this year.

Good luck selling product...

brookledge
04-21-2005, 08:54 PM
I taped later than some around me and made more per tap then those who tapped earlier. Nothing runs as good as a fresh tap. If you hit it just right it will help.
Keith

saphead
04-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I went to the open house yesterday, a lot of people for a friday! Aireblo just came out with a gravity flow R.O. for the small producer...it's designed to fit between your head tank and your evaporator.Kind of a funky concept to say the least. A lot of $ was spent there yesterday;trucks,vans and cars loading up with all kinds of goodies.... I'm sure Bruce was all smiles!

ANMAN
04-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah I saw a truck leave with a brand new 2x evaporator set up. $$$ spent everywhere! We couldn't leave without spending atleast $150 despite their perpetually slow sales counter. There must have been 250 people or so on Friday. Lots of people browsing the equipment checking tags definitely worth all the hamburgers and hotdogs.