PDA

View Full Version : oil burner flame ?

white mt
12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
New to oil fire .I have a new burner carlin 601 with a 6 gal 60deg ss nozzle, first test the other day had a good boil in front and back pans . But after taking off the syrup pan I noticed a big black spot on the the insulation located on the floor of the arch about one ft in front of the burner nozzle. So I fired it up without the front pan on and the flame is hitting the floor .The floor is about 7-8 in below the nozzle center so it should be ok according to instructions. So how clean should this run? Looks like my nice new insulation will blacken fast. Is it ok for the flame to lap the floor.Maybe I need a 45 deg nozzle. Thoughts Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
12-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I would say its a cold spot and the burner isnt getting hot enough in that area. Carbon burns away at a certain temp and it sounds like you may not be getting to that desired temp. Can you play around with the air intake to see if the flame changes color. Like a cutting tourch you need to play with the combustion air to get the best burn. Did you try a smaller nozzel? What size is the combustion chamber?

white mt
12-07-2010, 05:24 AM
I would say its a cold spot and the burner isnt getting hot enough in that area. Carbon burns away at a certain temp and it sounds like you may not be getting to that desired temp. Can you play around with the air intake to see if the flame changes color. Like a cutting tourch you need to play with the combustion air to get the best burn. Did you try a smaller nozzel? What size is the combustion chamber?

I can try playing with the air intake ,No I dont have a smaller nozzle cant seem to get that high of a firing nozzle at the local place ,had to order this one from Bascomes. The cumbustion chamber is a converted 3 by 8 wood fire arch with with 2 layers of fiberglass insulation the fire wall is 30 "in back from the nozzel center with about 13'"in from the nozzel center to the bot of the syrup pan . and 8" in to the the floor .What color should the flame be? Ps I do see carbon after firing.

maplwrks
12-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Can you tip your gun so that it doesn't hit the floor of the combustion area? My evaporator is 8 years old and doesn't have ant black soot on any of the blanket. Haynes may be right, you may need to adjust the air on your gun. I have also gone with a wider spray pattern on my nozzle to get the boil better on the sides of the pan.

Haynes Forest Products
12-07-2010, 08:54 AM
The higher the heat the less carbon you should see. The only place I ever see carbon is on the bottom of the pans because. they dont get as hot as the fire brick or blanket. Does your gun dump alot of fuel during the start up cycle. Im under the impression that you want the flame to swirl around and make as much heat in the cumbustion chamber as possible. Can you get a High heat 500-1200 degree therm and place it in the stack and adjust the gun that way.

white mt
12-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Update talked to mike at leader he said sounds like fuel impingement that is fuel not burning up as it should . So the black spot on the blanket is from the floor being to close to the nozzle /fire . He said I could lower the floor ,a task but could be done ,or try a smaller deg nozzle .