PDA

View Full Version : Applying for Grants and who has???

Tapmealot
12-04-2010, 05:43 PM
How many of you have applied for grant money when you started your sugaring operation or have expanded your operation?? Im trying to find ones suitable for me here in vermont so i can get bigger but it has been very hard to find them. i would like to set more woods up and buy a new evaporator but would like to find some assistance in doing so. what do you all think about the grant that is currently posted in the vermont maple sugar makers association website. it's an energy grant type but would applying for that help in buying a new evaporator because i mean with all the blowers and everything it could fall under this category. If you guys have any information or help please let me know i would deeply appreciate it.

Rob

Acer
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Please think twice about "grant money" it isn't government money it isn't "grant money". Its your neighbors money the politicians took to buy votes with.

my humble opinion.

Tapmealot
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
okay well more input on the grants but then going away from it how about loans,,??

Randy Brutkoski
12-04-2010, 06:23 PM
i know there is grants for R.O,s. First you buy it and then apply for the grant and I think they will reimberse you up to 25% of what you paid for the unit. The same thing with solar panels. I dont know about evaporators though. You also have to hire a grant writer, which will probably cost $1000, unless you know someone that does that. You could always get an FSA loan through the USDA. Thats what I did this year. The interest rate was only 2.33% for a 7 year note. Alot of paperwork, but i wouldnt of been able to do what i am doing if i didnt have the help from the USDA.I could be wrong about the grants. But thats what i have heard. Good luck.

Brian
12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
yes, that about covers it,I know because I did it!!! Wished i hadn't bothered

peckfarm
12-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I asked Leader about loans and they suggested "Yankee Farm Credit." The energy grants are still available but as mentioned they really rub the wrong way. Essentially you are taking non-existent government money under the pretense of reducing energy consumption which apparently will save the Earth. The only reason I am still willing to consider it is because in our cases we are creating more wealth than we are consuming, and therefore it is actual economic stimulus. Talk to the Ag department for the energy grant.

DrTimPerkins
12-04-2010, 09:07 PM
i know there is grants for R.O,s. First you buy it and then apply for the grant and I think they will reimberse you up to 25% of what you paid for the unit.

You must be awarded the grant PRIOR to purchasing and receiving the unit. If you get the RO (or other energy enhancement device) first, you are ineligible for the grant.

Fairfield Sugarmaker
12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
For the USDA Energy Efficiency grant you have to have at least one year of production records to do an energy audit prior to even applying. It is not for startup operations. If you do buy equipment that you are applying for during you application period you are at your own risk that you may not get the 25% grant.

Fairfield Sugarmaker
12-04-2010, 09:26 PM
THere is no need to hire someone to do the application for you, I did mine myself with the guidelines and if you know someone that has done one see if they will let you take a look at the format. It will save you at least $1000 right there!

Brian Ryther
12-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Please think twice about "grant money" it isn't government money it isn't "grant money". Its your neighbors money the politicians took to buy votes with.

my humble opinion.

If you were humble about your opinion you would keep it to your self.

The quotes I got for the grant writer and energy audit totaled $400.00. These were from professionals experienced with REAP and referenced from the NYSMPA.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Acer

my humble opinion[

QUOTE=Brian Ryther;120837]If you were humble about your opinion you would keep it to your self.

The quotes I got for the grant writer and energy audit totaled $400.00. These were from professionals experienced with REAP and referenced from the NYSMPA.[/QUOTE]

Like it or not, he is telling the truth as our government is a big Robin Hood. Same reason I have to go to work every day to support as the ones on welfare that are too lazy to work and tons of people around here that are on permanent disability but are able to hunt and fish year around along with lots of other pleasures and live in big houses and drive new trucks. I am putting out 5 to 10k out of pocket for medical expenses this year above what insurance pays and normally close to 5k every year and the best part of it is I get to go to work every day to pay for all the ones that don't have insurance and get free insurance with hardly any out of pocket.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
A simple question was asked concerning grants. This thread should be dedicated to answering those questions, not your political opinions of such. We have other places and other threads where we can express such opinions. We all love maple, that is why we are here. Let's try to respect each other and keep discussions of differing opinions in the threads where they should be:)