PDA

View Full Version : Judging a trees health

Tithis
12-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I think this is the right forum to ask this question.

I recently got permission from my neighbor across the street to tap a large very old tree. The house was built in 1880 and the owners mother used to write poetry about the tree, so its pretty old.

Because of its age and value to the owner I want to make sure no harm will come to the tree. After looking at the bark and remembering its bright orange fall foliage I'm pretty sure it is a sugar maple. How would I go about determining if the tree is healthy enough to tap safely? Without leaves to look at the only thing I can think to look for is exposed wood and dead limbs.

peckfarm
12-04-2010, 07:32 PM
We have a similar tree in our yard. There have been seasons when there were 5 buckets on it...that being said no reasonable amount of taps will end the life of this tree early. If you are just neighbors and not really close friends I would get a release of liability signed, its just the world we live in.

red maples
12-05-2010, 06:29 AM
If the tree is that sentimental to the family then it might be a good idea to justleave it alone!!! tapping isn't going to hurt the tree mother nature does some pretty aweful stuff and trees live on. I had a small maple out in the woods that snapped in 1/2 last wind storm and I wanted to see what would happen so I cut the break on an angle it was about 15 ' high and branches are growing out about 3-5 inches below where I cut. There are about 10 small branches on it now and there wasn't even 1 before.

but that is a young tree maybe 6 in diameter. older trees don't heal as fast. basically beacuse they are old.

Flat47
12-05-2010, 07:19 AM
It would be best to view the tree during growing season, when the crown is at full leaf out. Then compare the live crown with the dead crown. Lots of old trees continue living with a very low live crown ratio, and sap yield can be quite low. Keep in mind, though, that you are viewing a snap shot in time, and that may not factor or show the stresses from previous seasons (wind, drought, heat, frost, insects, etc.). So - bottom line is that it's tough to tell for sure but tapping to reasonable standards (1 tap per 12" of dbh) will not kill a tree.

Jim Brown
12-05-2010, 08:20 AM
I have to agree with Red Maple. If it a family "pet' it may be better to look else where. The first time a branch falls off during a wind storm the reason will be that it was "TAPPED" and there goes the neighbor hood.
My two cents!
Jim

Tithis
12-06-2010, 06:35 AM
I took a closer look at the tree yesterday and noticed a good number of dead branches so I'm going to pass on the tree. Thanks for the advice.