PDA

View Full Version : Preheater pan or parrallel flow tubing???????

cpmaple
12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Could anyone out there point me in the right direction or advice on what way to go? I have a 2x6 flat pan set up with divided front pan and trying to make up my mind what way would work better. Gonna build my own parrallel flow setup out of 1/2 in copper which would be const. of 80ft. of piping before it drops into my back pan or would a preheater be better????
thanks for input
cpmaple

ejmaple
12-04-2010, 02:15 PM
if you go with parrallel flow copper pipe preheater (witch is what i would) you will also need to build a hood.

Jeff E
12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
A pipe preheater, if built right, would simply preheat the sap, with no evaporation possible.

A pan preheater, if built right, would not only preheat, but also allow for (or even enhance) evaporation.

A pipe preheater is simpler to build. I have seen numbers like 15% effeciency gain with a good preheater and drip pan to catch condensation.

A pan preheater, like a steamaway or piggyback pan, can boost effeciency up to 75%. Pretty convincing numbers, if you can buy or build it.

Sugarmaker
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
cpmaple,
Expanding on Jeff E's comments:
(my 2 cents),

Or you could go totaly crazy and add a parallel flow preheater on top of a steam away type device and prove to fellow traders that you are totaly maple bonkers.
But I wouldn't know anyone who would do that!

Regards,
Chris