PDA

View Full Version : Proportional vs. Standard Auto draw-off

Squaredeal
12-01-2010, 07:30 AM
I am thinking about setting up a proportional draw-off for the coming season and wondering what experience folks here have with proportional draw-offs and if they think that they are worth the extra money.
My thought is that they would be more effective on smaller rigs, but on fast hard boiling rigs with more volume that it wouldn't make much of a difference.
Any opinions?

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe you are talking the valve? Roth Sugar Bush has a huge rig with RO and the valve doesnt really shut it only Modulates the flow. Its a paddle valve. Are you sure about the name of the valve

Squaredeal
12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
something like this:
http://www.marcland-usa.com/Proportional%20DO.htm

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes thats the one I would call Marcland he is a great guy to talk to. Once you spend 10 min with him on the phone you will understand the whys and why nots. Now I believe that valve is for the big rigs with RO because the amout of finished syrup that needs to be drawn off is so great. A standard selonoid valve is either open or closed and it sets up a very small wave action. But the modulateing valve will open but in very controlled amounts to get down to a steady stream for a smoother flow. When my 3X10 is running at full production I can open my ball valve and let syrup trickel out in a steady stream and all works well. BUT I then have to sit and watch and make sure that the tank doesnt overflow, It scares me to walk away, If I dont get it just right it will be inconsistant. I dont believethat it would be good on a small evap without an RO.