PDA

View Full Version : 4 Laterals entering mainline in one place

ascutneymaple
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Is there a disadvantage to having four laterals with high volumes of sap coming in at one manifold on the mainline? Each lateral has about 15-20 taps on a steep slope (gravity) and they all end up at the same place on the mainline. A number of 4-way manifolds are made so I assume this wouldn't be an issue but it just seems like a lot of sap entering at one place.

sapman
11-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I assume you're talking about 5/16" laterals entering, and by gravity you mean no vacuum. If you add vacuum, remember try for 5 taps/lat ideallly. Anyhow, I and many others on here use the multi-fittings, which of course is only one lat entering (sometimes two). I have brought a few in at about the same place, just mounting the fittings in a row going down the main.

Haynes Forest Products
11-30-2010, 08:50 PM
I have 6 ways into a mainline as designed with vacuum.

ascutneymaple
11-30-2010, 08:57 PM
5/16" and no vacuum

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Is there a disadvantage to having four laterals with high volumes of sap coming in at one manifold on the mainline? Each lateral has about 15-20 taps on a steep slope (gravity) and they all end up at the same place on the mainline. A number of 4-way manifolds are made so I assume this wouldn't be an issue but it just seems like a lot of sap entering at one place.

This won't be a high volume of sap so you shouldn't have any worries. 60 to 80 taps might sound like a lot, but in comparison to the size of the mainline, it is minimal and won't cause any problems.

farmall h
12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Ascutneymaples...stick with what you are doing for gravity setup. This creates natural vacuum. You know, Leader even makes the 6-way stars!:)