PDA

View Full Version : Off season RO storage

backyardsugarer
11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
I have a new RO that I got up and running last week. Took the membrane out and put it inside. Drained the rest of the unit (as near I can tell). Is it ok to leave the unit out in the unheated sugar shack over the winter? I am pretty sure I got most all the water out of the unit. Thanks.

Chris

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Should be OK as long as everything is drained.

Brent
12-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Every membrane manufacturer tells you to protect from freezing, or infuse a glycerin solution ... and you should provably add some SMBS, sodium meta bi-sulfite to stop biological stuff from growing.

You can mix up a solution, put it in the cartridges and draw it off into 5 gallon pails when the season starts. You'll recover about 80% of it. Then reuse, top it up a bit for next winter. The supplies from your maple dealer shouldn't cost 50 bucks, and will likely last 5 years or more. That's cheap insurance.

Go to the web site of the membrane manufacturer for details. New 4" x 40" membranes cost about $ 300 each. The 8" ones are much more.

Snow Hill Farm
01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Any ideas on heating an RO room? I am finishing construction of the insulated room and was looking at a Northern Tool portable thermostat and a small space heater. The reviews look good for the product, seems really reliable...