PDA

View Full Version : Best rechargable drill ?

getting started
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Looking to purchase a quality rechargeable drill for tapping this season,what does everybody else use ? Or should i buy a gas powered tapper ? Plan on tapping only around 500 .

whalems
11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I use a 18V rigid from Home Depot. It has worked good for me. It has lithium ion battery. Came w/ liftime on it. Had to replace one battery. but all in all it has been a good one.:)

red maples
11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I got an 18V ryobi years ago and it been to hell and back with me and still runs great had to ditch the old batteries they didn't hold a charge anymore and switch to lithium Ion which was pretty expensive. (if anyone does get the new batteries don't waste your money on those small ones they are terrible)!

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Get a quality brand 18 volt (or larger). Don't mess with a gas tapper unless you are poking 7/16 holes at a rate of hundreds per day. Gas tappers are heavy and noisy and totally unnecessary with 5/16 holes. We tapped 1000/day last spring using 1 drill and 2 batteries that were recharged over lunch break. Make sure your bit is sharp.

Randy Brutkoski
11-28-2010, 07:51 PM
2 seasons ago I bought a new Rigid 18 volt litium and it crapped to bed after 2000 taps. Home depot sad they would have it rebuilt for me but i would have to pay for it. So i just broke down and bought a good drill. I bought a 18 volt lithium Milwakee. small, real lite, and works great. I do have a Tanaka gas tapper, but after 300 holes my *** is draging.

Farmboy
11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
We have dewalt and snap on drills. Both 18 volt. The desalts are great but we have killed way tooooo many batteries. There a great drill but the batteries aren't that great. The snap on is a good drill too. We haven't killed a single battery yet. They are pretty heavy. I've heard rigid has a lifetime warrenty on drills and batteries. If that's true then I will get one of those next. Otherwise I want to get a makita. Our plumber has them and he swears by them. They charge in 15 minutes. And he hasent killed a drill or battery yet. He has killed at least 8 dewalt drills and countless batteries. I really want one.

Randy Brutkoski
11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
The Rigid batteries are lifetime warranteed, all you have to do is fill out some information and mail it in. But the drill is no longer lifetime warranteed. Too many drills were coming back not working right. I guess that kind of killed there profits. My new 18 volt LI. riged works when it wants to. I will sell it to you for $50. 2 batteries and a charger.

Flat47
11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Porter Cable 18v with 1/2" chuck. Batteries last longer than anything else I've ever used, and it was only $180. I hate gas drills. They're loud and heavy. By the end of the day and 300 taps my arm was about ready to fall off. I just don't see that they have any advantages anymore. Technology has really improved rechargable batteries and drill weight. It's rare to see a drill come with only one battery - everyone at the local hardware store comes with two. Get a third and you won't have to worry about making it through a long day of tapping.

Mountain Winds Farm
11-29-2010, 05:33 AM
WE used a black&decker 18volt last year and that worked really well .I have since broken it and am looking at the Makita lithium ion .

Amber Gold
11-29-2010, 07:13 AM
I've had the Craftsman 19.2V for 10 years now. The Ni-CAD batteries are good for ~3 years, the drills are indestructible (dropped them off roofs and ladders and they still work). A few months ago, I bought their new 19.2V Li-ion drill and it's much smaller and lighter which is great. I'm not sure how they'll do in the cold, but the salesman assured me it'd work well in the cold...of course.

batsofbedlam
11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I've used a Bosch 24v cordless drill for a number of years. I get over 300 holes drilled per battery charge. The torque is unbelievable; I get a sore wrist by the end of the day.

Brokermike
11-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Makita 18v lithium ion. Incredible drill and shop around I bought a new set with the impact driver (which is even better than I hoped) for $199. batteries charge in 15 minutes.

DrTimPerkins
11-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Ni-cads have somewhat better performance in the cold than do lithium batteries. Lithium batteries are considerably lighter however.

We use DeWalt 18V drills with Ni-Cad batteries. Batteries tend to last about 3 yrs. We date them and keep them in a regular rotation, then recycle them.

Haynes Forest Products
11-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I have 6 Dewalt drills and get about 3 years out of a battery. Letting them sit discharged in a frozen truck doesnt help them. Keep them charged and yes warm if possible. The one nice thing about Dewalt is they have a charger that will plug into the car or truck liter outlet. Go on line and Sears sells them $99.00 so you can keep them charging out in the bush.

Big_Eddy
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Ridgid 18V. I have 2 - one came with Li-Ion, the other Ni-Cads. The Ni-Cads work great in the cold. The Li-Ion only work if you keep them warm first, and they won't charge until they warm up again after.

Lifetime Warranty including batteries if you register them on line.

Work great for me. Was into the 2nd battery for 100 holes, but it was still going strong.

Wanabe1972
11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I used a 18v dewalt for a few years at home and in the bush. The batteries take a long time to charge and have found the drills not as high quality as the used to be. After it finally died I bought a half inch Snap on lithium ion it is a bit pricey but in my opinion it is a far better drill. It came with 2 batteries and a quick charger. You cant tap fast enough to kill a battery and not have the charger ready with the spare. A friend of mine att work has toshiba 18v and he raves about it all the time. I guess its just the luck of the draw.

vtmaplemaker
11-29-2010, 02:09 PM
The Makita 18v lith is by far my choice, I have had mine for 2 years drilling over 5000 holes each year, along with using it for work in the off season.. I can tap almost 500 taps with 1 3ah battery, and about 200 with the 1.5ah battery..

Thad Blaisdell
11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
I use the craftsman 19.2 volt. I have 2 of them and use the Lithium batteries. It takes me all of 2 batteries and some of the third to go all day drilling 5/16. I tapped 4900 last year in less than 7 days, averaged 700 per day. I believe that 300 taps per battery would be about right.

I believe the best drill out there is the one you already own.

Randy Brutkoski
11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
The 18 lithium ion Makita is on sale for $99 at home depot. But it only comes with 1 battery, but still a good buy.

ejmaple
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
i agree with big eddy, rigid 18v ni-cad work much better than the lithium bats in the cold. i use nothing but rigid at work because of their cheaper initial cost and lifr time warantee, we tipicaly return a few bats a year and either a drill or impact, sawsall, whatever a year with no problem getting it replaced.

TapME
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
it's all about the amp hours that the batteries have and how long they last. I have a panasonic that still has the origanal batteries from 10 years ago and the charge they hold is still as good as the first day. I find that sharp bits make a big difference on haw long a battery last. No matter what we use it is for the same purpose making maple syrup.