PDA

View Full Version : Student run sugarbush

carlsonr
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I am a senior at a Midwest college and recieved a grant to establish a sugarbush (100 taps) on campus. I have a limited budget and unlimited support. Though I am having a tough time figuring out the sugarshack-as it cannot be a permanent building. I was initially thinking of building it in pieces in a (warm) shed and transporting it to the site. I have even thought about building it on a trailer (though pulling it through 1 1/2 foot of snow makes me wonder).

Do any of you have advice for a modular shack?

DrTimPerkins
11-28-2010, 10:08 AM
modular shack?

More information would be helpful.

What is the main purpose of the shed (boiling, to warm up, storing equipment)?If you are boiling inside the shed, what are you boiling on? What other equipment will you have inside? Does it need to be secure (doors closed and locked)? Are you going to be allowing people to come see (educational). What do you have to transport the shed to the site (truck, trailer, tractor, bulldozer)? Is there a road....will there be snow? How long can it be set up and how quickly does it need to come down? Is the site going to be muddy when you remove it? How often do you expect to be boiling....whenever there is sap, or only a few times for educational purposes? Are there any pertinant state regs (agriculture or health dept) in your area about maple production sites?

Flat47
11-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Does your state have a agriculture co-op extension? Here in Maine, the University of Maine has an ag co-op with branches all around the state. They help with info and have endless contacts within ag and state government. If available, it would be a good relationship to have. Just be ready for "call this person" and then "nope, call that other person." Stick with it, though. Eventually you'll get in contact with the right folks, it's just a matter of working through the office.

Also, as far as the shack goes, talk to the local code enforcement officer at town hall. Most will be happy to explain what your limits are for building. Sometimes it's a poured concrete floor that makes a building considered permanent. I bet they'd be happier talking to a student looking to learn than someone trying to bend the rules of their building permit.

Good luck and keep us posted.

carlsonr
11-28-2010, 04:32 PM
I suppose that was pretty vague...

The shack will be put up and taken down just for the sugar season (it will be used as a toolshed for a nearby organic farm when its done). The main purposes will be to boil down sap as it comes and to show people the fascinating process producing the liquid gold. There will be snow, anywhere from 1-2 feet I'd guess by then. It is about 1/4 acre from a road with a ski trail passing right by it from the road, though it'd be best not to tear up the trail for skiiers. I have a truck and a trailer. My best guess at this point is to construct the walls and deck separately, then assemble the shack on site when there's a break in the Minnesota cold. I am also building a 2x3 evaporator with a metal frame firebox off the ground. I have 2 groves nearby with 50 and 70 trees that will be connected with tubing and pumped slightly uphil to an elevated storage tank near the shack.

Any other non sugarshack advice is welcome as well!

C.Wilcox
11-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Think ice shack, not syrup shack. There are plenty of examples of portable ice shacks being built out there. I'd suggest visiting a local lake this winter and seeing what people have put together. We built one once that was 8'X8' and was made out of 1X4's and 1/4" OSB sheets. No individual piece was bigger than 4'X8' and everything fit into a standard long bed pickup. We assembled it on the lake with one cordless drill and a box of drywall screws. It was a great building until my brother in law got a little carried away with the woodstove and burned it to the ground. If I were to do it again I would recommend 1X3's for the walls. 1X4's worked good, but you could definitely get away with less and it would make transporting easier.

Haynes Forest Products
11-29-2010, 09:15 AM
First as far as size goes lay out what you think is a good working area and get 6 people to stand in that space. Now think about an evap in the area that is hot. Now throw some buckets of hot syrup and tank with sap.

I would not invite the govermnment in on any of the planning or operation stages HELLO ADA:mad: I dont like to be sour grapes here but I would look into a steel doubble ended ship container Easy to move, wont burn down, good viewing from both ends., will last forever, low to the ground for easy entry, if things change its worth more over time Easy to have secure windows installed, water tight, With open ends its easy to move people in and out, Open the doors and cover them with tie down corregated roofing and you have a stageing area on nice days.

Woody
11-30-2010, 05:18 AM
Order a book called Backyard Sugaring. Rustic looking shelters and innovative evaporation but cheap and practicle, just like it used to be. Going this route throws in a little history which is always good to have and fun as all get out. No worries about a building and yada, yada. Don't know what your security issues are in the area but going simple is something to think about. Anyway.....have a blast and if you have unlimited support go with buckets instead of tubing, way more fun. Just my thoughts.