PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait

Tim Wagoner
11-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Well we finally had a night it got below 30. It went down to 28 the other night and the temp went up to 43 the next day. I could not help it I had to go out and see if the sap was flowing. I took a number 58 drill bit. (real small) and drilled about 1 inch into a tree that is off by its own out at our pond and sure enough it was flowing. Man I can’t wait till Jan 2011. I plan on putting in the taps the first week of the New Year. Last year I made 70.5 gal and I am shooting for 100 gal this year. I had a big surprise given to me this year. A friend of mine had a old milk tank he got out of a milk barn he tore down and he asked me if I wanted it:). I said sure and asked what size it was he told me about 300 or 400 gal so I thought that would be great to add to the 300 gal tank I already have.:D I got over to his place to get it and it is a 1500 gal tank. WOW!!:o So now I won’t have to use the 200 gal water tank once my 300 gal milk tank is full. Once church is over today I will be cutting wood and getting ready for the sap to start flowing.

2X8 pan
total taps last year 726
this year???
Potential taps way more then I have time to do and more farms then I can travel to in a days time:(
BMX UTV and 60 gal collection tank in the bed
1500 gal milk tank for storage of sap

red maples
11-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Similar except we hit 23 last night and suppose to get into 40's today. One thing is fall has a different feeling to the sun. in the spring the sun feels warmer for some reason???

Brokermike
11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
the sun feels warmer because we just spent 3 months freezing our tails off, compared to now when we're only a few weeks away from a 70 degree day (we had 2 in October)

nace
01-03-2011, 08:21 AM
hey tim, that sound's great! hope you have a great year.....by the way, do you have any plans for that 200 gal tank? i'm still trying to throw together some sort of evaporator ( not gonna do the roasting pan again) and i'm always looking to scrounge any thing i can use. nace in scottsville, ky.