PDA

View Full Version : is there some connection between Coombs and Bascoms?

markct
11-27-2010, 05:05 PM
I noticed that in the videos on youtube that Coombs farms had made talking about there organic certifications and making syrup etc they show a few pictures that i recognize as being at Bascoms, like the evaporator and there tanks, just wondered if they are a division of bascoms or if they just used "stock" photos that happened to be bascoms?

DrTimPerkins
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I noticed that in the videos on youtube that Coombs farms had made talking about there organic certifications and making syrup etc they show a few pictures that i recognize as being at Bascoms, like the evaporator and there tanks, just wondered if they are a division of bascoms or if they just used "stock" photos that happened to be bascoms?

Coombs Family Farms is a "division" of Bascom's.

wglenmapler
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Same owner

maplecrest
11-28-2010, 06:39 AM
so is browns family farms

Flat47
11-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I remember when Coombs was an equipment dealer in addition to syrup, cream, and candy. I bought my first rig there. They cleared out all equipment and supplies in the early 1990s.

markct
11-28-2010, 07:03 PM
ok thats makes sense, so did bascoms buy coombs at one time? the way they make it sound is like they have been owned by the same family for generations but maybe thats just clever wording for advertising image

Flat47
11-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I believe Bascoms bought them in the early 2000s to fill their demand for Vermont-made products, but the Coombs family is still running the operation there in southern Vermont. I found some info online a while ago, so that may not be 100% correct - but I'm pretty sure.

brookledge
11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Bob Coombs operated the business for many yrs. He then turned the business over to his sons or son, I know Arnold is one I'm not sure if there was another. Anyway Arnold now works for Bascom's or he atleast did. In there hay day the company was a very good sized business in Jacksonville Vt. They were basicly just like Bascom's, into every fascite of the business. Bob's health and age got the best of him and died a while back. He was a very nice and knowledgeable man.
Keith

tuckermtn
11-30-2010, 04:41 AM
so when Bascoms talks about tapping 60,000 taps, is that just their place in Alstead, or does it include Coombs and their other interests?

brookledge
12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure. I do know that there is(was) a large operation in Wilmington Vt. that was owned by Coombs.
Keith