PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 30" x 10' Oil Fired to Wood

murferd
11-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Just traded (with quite abit of boot) are 2 x 6 for a 21/2 x 10 that is in excellent condition.
It also has a hood & preheater same as we had on ours. So when we are done changing over we really will have just large sized.
I'm thinking about air over fire & air under, any suggestions? Also wondering what to do about covering the fire blanket. Do we take a layer out & put fire brick over the entire arch? Is there some kind of fire board to cover the blanket so you clean the ashes off? Do we put firebrick in firebox only & then a fire retardant board over the slope & flue area?
Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Bucket Head
11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm not familiar with how oil fired rigs are, so I' can't say wether to change out some or leave in place what blanket insulation you have. The blanket type insulation works very well. I'm very happy with mine. You have to have the bricks in the fire box. Half bricks, or "splits", will work. You need to keep the blanket free from damage. How many different people will be firing this rig? Some might not be as careful as others loading the wood- the bricks can take some abuse. The rigid board would'nt be a bad idea for covering the blanket through the rest of the arch. However, many folks have the blanket exposed and have not had trouble. I'm sure other oil to wood converts will chime in here and they'll share what has worked well for them. Good luck with the new rig.

Steve