PDA

View Full Version : 6 star lift capacity?

Monster Maples
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM
First off let me say this is a nice site you all have created. My question probably has a real simple answer. I am designing my tubing so it all goes to my sugar house. To do this I need to put a sap lift in. First question: What is the max number of taps for a single 6 star ladder? From the releaser to the ladder it will be 100 ft then another 400 ft of mainline after the ladder. I will have close to 200 taps on this run. Next year though I am planning to put another 150 taps and extend my mainline. So realistically I am looking for the best way to lift 350 to 400 taps. Also, would I be able to put two ladders on one mainline? Thanks for your input.

Randy Brutkoski
11-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I go with 10 taps per line, so a 6 star would be good for about 60 taps. But with that many taps being lifted you might want to break down and buy sap lifting system from Leader.You will probably need 2 sap lifting tanks since each 1 is good for about 300 taps. A little expensive but it would be perfect for the situation that you are in.And also you wouldnt lose all of the vacuum like you would with all of those stars, especially with the 2 other ladders that are already on that system. I know a guy that has a sap lifting system and it works great.

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Monster Maples,
Yes, you can put 2 ladders on one mainline. I have a line with five ladders and lifts in it.
I agree with Randy. The lifts are a good way to go once the number of taps exceeds 100 or so. If you are lifting more than 300 taps, you can build a manifold for the sap to flow into before it enters the lift. This allows a place for the sap to accumulate while the lift is emptying itself of sap. You can buy the lifts with a manifold or you can build your own manifold. I have purchased the lifts through Leader and through CDL. Same lift but CDL was quite a bit cheaper (2 years ago).
Doug

red maples
11-26-2010, 09:20 PM
go with a 2 pipe sap ladder. other wise your talking a whole bunch of star lifts. and you can you can lift the whole thing with one lift. use the same size pipe as your mainline. see Russel lampron's photo bucket he has a nice picture of his 2 pipe lift.