PDA

View Full Version : membrane storage

backyardsugarer
11-26-2010, 05:19 PM
what fluid should I store my membrane in? I do not have any permeate so is water ok?

Chris

lew
11-26-2010, 09:55 PM
You need something other than just water to control microbial growth. Many producers use sodium metabisulfite (Ithink that's the correct wording and spelling). You supply dealer should have some. I am not a big fan of the stuff. It doesn't seem to last an entire off season. I like to use formaldehyde. Available at a chemical supply dealer. Lasts forever.

DrTimPerkins
11-27-2010, 08:40 AM
what fluid should I store my membrane in? I do not have any permeate so is water ok?

Membranes are a costly investment. Treat them right and they'll last a long time. Abuse them and they won't....and you'll end up paying a lot more.

You should store membranes per the manufacturers recommendations. These can vary slightly depending upon what system you have. Check with your equipment dealer to get the correct information on how to store them, as well as the proper way to clean the membrane before first use, during the season, and how to prepare them for storage at the end of the season.

Never use chlorinated water with a membrane (if you're on municipal water). Hard water is not so good either, but is better than chlorinated water.