PDA

View Full Version : Steam stack length ?

getting started
11-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Just picked up a hood for my Leader 2x6 WSE for the flue pan . Got 12 foot of stack with it , 9ft will clear my peak of the roof by a foot , should i go ahead and put up all 12 foot or stay with 9 foot ? Just thinking that the extra 3 foot could produce extra condensation to run back down the pipe .

Sugarmaker
11-26-2010, 07:12 PM
getting started,
BTW, Welcome to the trader!
Does you stack come out on the peak of the sugar house roof?
My steam stacks clear my roof peak by about 4 feet on the rear and 2 feet on the front pan. My arch is off set about 2 feet to one side of the peak. These steam stacks are still about 5 feet shorter than my smoke stack. I know this was not a great answer. Try the 9 feet and see how it draws. Also if you have snow will it be open at 1 foot above the roof? I think either length would work but I might opt for the taller version. (I think there are pictures on our web site.)

Regards,
Chris

Haynes Forest Products
11-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I would keep it short for the very reason you stated. Now if you want to catch any condensate do like the CDL and put a rain cap on the inside of the hood upside down attached to the steam stack and put a drain in the center out a bucket

If the hood is 100% sealed then draw is not a factor. If its open like mine over the finish pans with a hole into the flue area then you will get a draw effect. My steam stack is about 5' long and draws like crazy so you dont need it like a smoke stack.

lew
11-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Like Haynes said, keep it short if you can. I have a 5x10 all flue witha tight fitting steam steam hood with about 5' of stack. No problem with getting the steam out. The top of the steam stack is just above (2-3") the roof jack. Right next to it I have a 3x7 finisher with a steam hood that ets about 16" above the pan. I had to put in a tube axle fan in the steam stack to suck the steam off the pan, not enough draw with such a short stack.

Brent
11-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Haynes, I think I see hinges in the pictures of your steam hood from the side. I'm guessing you flip a sheet down to stop some of the steam leaking around the syrup pan hood.

Do you like this and use it regularly ?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I have 10" steam stack and 10.5" roof jack and steam stack clears roof jack by aprox 1" so there is minimal cold air hitting steam stack. The 1" bigger roof jack allows the steam stack to slide up and down easily when I lift my hood and acts as a guide for the steam stack too. If it is 1' above top of roof, it should be plenty.

Haynes Forest Products
11-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Brent yes you do see hinges. I use them when I first fire because the steam is heavy the room is cold. When the evap is running along hot I flip them up. If it gets windy and I havent tuned the coupla doors I might drop them down for better draw.

I have come to the conclusion that differant rigs with big hoods cool the steam more and need differant drip trays, fans and longer steam stacks. If you look at my hood its light and small so it stays nice and hot so I dont get condensation on the walls. once all is hot the draw is massive. I can open any door on the hood (4) and not worry about steam backdraft.

getting started
11-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys, this helped me out alot ! I guess i'll try the shorter version first then if needed i'll add the extra pipe .

Brent
11-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Haynes
Thanks, that's about what I expected it was about.

Actually a few years ago I started putting towels and some of mylar / silvered plumpers bubble wrap on my hoods to keep them warm and reduce condensation. Acutally I think the whole evaporator / hood design needs a rethink for better insulation and heat efficiency.

The hinged panels are a great idea. Thanks.