PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Membrane

Amber Gold
11-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm new to RO and forgot about my membranes in the SH until this morning. We've had a handful of nights below freezing...mid-20's the lowest. I pulled the membranes out of the storage canisters and there was some slush and a little ice on the membranes. Are the membranes ruined and how can I tell if they are?

Thanks

Mark
11-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Dow website says that you have to thaw them out before using. I froze some real bad a few years ago and they were OK.

tuckermtn
11-26-2010, 06:26 AM
josh- might need to check and make sure your pumps/gauges/valves are okay- if there was water in there they might have issues...

Amber Gold
11-26-2010, 08:18 AM
The RO machine is all drained with the drains all open. The membranes were stored in PVC storage tubes with some kind of liquid in there...guessing a preservative.

Tmeeeh
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I heard that any freezing of the membrane material will damage it and will then pass sugar. I was also told that freezing doesn't damage the membrane itself but a drained out but still damp membrane element will contract and crack the permeate tube and pass sugar that way. I used an osmonics machine for 12 years and let the drained out machine freeze every year and never had a problem. I hear that some people are successfully allowing the 8X40 membranes to freeze all winter. I haven't dared try it myself.

Amber Gold
11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
The storage tube was only partially filled with preservative.

I was told by the previous owner the membranes together would do about 180 gph, didn't pass any sugar, and are on their last leg. I was hoping to squeeze another year out of them, but maybe now I don't.

Justin Turco
11-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Slush? I'll bet they're fine. I ruined a guage one time. The rest of the machine had leader's antifreeze, but it didn't make it to the gauge. I'm keeping my RO inside in the winter from now on.

maplwrks
11-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Just bring them in to a warm place. I think they will be fine. It's not like you froze them solid. When you start up in the spring, check them for sugar passage.

Amber Gold
11-29-2010, 07:11 AM
That's what I was hoping to hear. It's been below freezing before, but I'm pretty sure it didn't get any colder than the morning I remembered about them. They've been in the house since.

Thanks.