PDA

View Full Version : Insurance on evaporator in outbuildings?

ahowes
11-24-2010, 06:57 AM
We were supposed to lay the block today for the evaporator I was going to build in our pole barn. At the last minute, I thought to contact my insurance agent and he told me that State Farm will not insure any wood burning in any outbuilding or garage. I suppose it makes sense, even though most people are smart enough to keep gas and other flammables away from a wood burner (the reason his underwriters gave).
Until last night, I had wrongly assumed that since they hardly asked any questions at all when they approved our recent woodburner in the house, that it would be no big deal in an outbuilding.

So, needless to say, the evaporator is going to have to wait a year. Bummer. I guess I'll sit out in the elements again this year.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? I really wanted the evaporator in the pole barn because it could serve multiple purposes, and it would prevent me from having to build yet another outbuilding. If no good ideas come from this thread, I'll just build an un-insured cheap sugar shack over one. Thanks for your ideas about dealing with insurance. (BTW, I live in southern Indiana where they know nothing about sugaring.)

mapleack
11-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Put it in your pole barn anyway and be **** careful like the rest of us.

ahowes
11-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Yes, I figure there is about a .00000000001% chance that a fire would happen, but it WOULD happen to me if I took that chance. After being personally affected by three tornadoes, a major hailstorm, and a whole-house electrical fire, I can't take even a fraction of a chance.
For most people, that would be fine, but for me..........

I figure a "disposable" sugar shack made of salvaged utility poles and salvaged lumber around a nice concrete block/archboard/firebrick evaporator would be my best option. It's not my preference, but it's low-risk. I really hate the thought of building another building, but I'm addicted after my first sugaring season and want to do more than sit in the rain with an inefficient evaporator like I did last year.

Thanks!

DaveB
11-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Try contacting Farm Family. We have a farm policy with them that insures our home and sugar house as well as giving us a $1,000,000 liability policy. We also have a rider for our evaporator. Not sure if they insure where you are but look into a farm policy....it costs about the same as a home owner policy and there are perks as well.

Dave

ahowes
11-24-2010, 09:04 AM
I checked and they don't have much, if any, presence in Indiana. State Farm has always been good to us, so it's looking like I might just throw an un-insured shed up over my evaporator. Didn't really need another project, but...............

firetech
11-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I currently have State Farm but they will be gone next month. The reason they gave me that there will be no insuance on my pole barn/sugarhouse is because it was a business and would need a comercial policy. Good by State farm hello Farm Bureau. Now all my asssets are coverd with 1 solid fuel unit in the house and 2 in the barn (evaporator and a wood stove) for $500 more per year the new barn ($40,000) replacement cost,contents (maple equipment $15000) and all my antique farm equipment (I've got some rare pieces). You need to consider how much you can afford to lose without coverage. Our freinds lost their barn Sat nite 50 show type brood sows and 50 chickens. Only the structure was covered. No equipment ,stock,hay,feed, or tack coverage. Tens of thousands of dollars lost. Even our 4-H club's livestock scales are gone maybe $5 for melted alunuim ($1500) that the kids will need to work up for replacement. Think long and hard about working with no insuance.

Haynes Forest Products
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I like the way you said State Farm has been good to you.................sounds like they fell a little short. In Denver we got hit by a big hail storm 1 1/2 years ago and every house in the area got new roofs ...............Except the houses insured by State Farm.

ahowes
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Maybe it is a difference in agents or regional reps. We've had complete replacement of all our belongings in 1991, replacement of a 45x65 barn due to a tornado, and more recently (2006) tens of thousands in replacement on hail-damaged vehicles and roofs.
I will call Farm Bureau, however. Around here, they are the ones with the stingy reputation.
Thanks...

paul
11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Ahowes, Dave b is right, state farm insured us for 15 years then we started sugaring. they told us they wouldn`t insure the sugar house or the equipment. We went to the co-op insurance co. farm policy was the way to go.190.00 per month 3vehicles, house, sugar house and all the equipment plus 3,000,000.00 in product liability. check around

georgie
11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Maybe a dumb old INDEPENDENT agent from Northern New York can shed some light. First insurance is state to state. Having said that State Farm agents here are a one company agent. Therefore they can only offer there product. I represent 6 companies for property insurance and 5 will write sugar houses and wood fired evaporators. The rate is around $4.50 per thousand per year. btw In this area State Farm has been good to their insured's.

nas
11-24-2010, 02:48 PM
It's easy to be good to your insured if you are very selective on who you insure. When I bought this old farm, my state farm agent who insured my last house told me they would not insure this one. I changed companies and ended up getting a better rate on my vehicles too. ahowes, I think it is time to find a new insurance company, I'll bet they won't be as loyal to you as you are to them.

Nick

ahowes
11-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I have called a couple and found out that an old hunting/political buddy is now selling for an independent locally. We're playing phone tag right now, but maybe he can do me some good once we hook up. Thanks for the great tips.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Maybe it is a difference in agents or regional reps. We've had complete replacement of all our belongings in 1991, replacement of a 45x65 barn due to a tornado, and more recently (2006) tens of thousands in replacement on hail-damaged vehicles and roofs.
I will call Farm Bureau, however. Around here, they are the ones with the stingy reputation.
Thanks...

That was 20 years ago and things have changed a lot in 20 years. Trust me, I have worked as an insurance claims adjustor for 14 years.

ahowes
12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
It looks like Farm Bureau will insure it, I'm waiting on rates now. I hope to wrap it up within days so that I can lay the blocks after this cold snap. Thanks for all of the advice.

stoweski
12-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Maybe a dumb old INDEPENDENT agent from Northern New York can shed some light. First insurance is state to state. Having said that State Farm agents here are a one company agent. Therefore they can only offer there product. I represent 6 companies for property insurance and 5 will write sugar houses and wood fired evaporators. The rate is around $4.50 per thousand per year. btw In this area State Farm has been good to their insured's.

Funny that this thread caught my eye today. Last week I went to my State Farm agent and had them come out to my house to see my sugarshack. He took pictures of the interior & exterior of the building along with the evaporator AND the stack. He said he could insure the entire thing. He simply raised my 'dwelling' rate a few thousand more to cover the building and contents (personal property). He give me all of the insurance terms but unfortunately I don't remember them. Basically he's a guy who's been in the business for 35 years and knows the proper way to insure what I need and not something that's excessive... but definitely didn't tell me he couldn't insure the building or the evaporator.

I'll see if I can get the correct info for you. I have to stop in next week again to sign some papers. Then again, I'm also in NY so I'm not sure that's going to help in your situation.

ahowes
12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm in Indiana, and the only cooking they are used to is meth cooking, and that usually ends up bad. They didn't know how maple syrup is made until I told them. I imagine the difference is because your agents/underwriters know what is going on.

Bucket Head
12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I would imagine the rates for a sugar shack would be less than the one's for a meth shack, but I'm not an agent. Just explain that the syrup is only cooked for about a month out of the year, where as the meth is a year round thing.

Steve

Goggleeye
12-07-2010, 05:58 PM
We recently had to switch, and chose Farm Bureau. We called our insurance (Missouri Mutual) agent to get insurance on a barn I'm building. They asked what it would be used for. We said goats. They asked what kind. We said dairy goats. The next day we got a certified letter saying that we had 30 days to find other insurance. They dropped us, house and everything, no questions asked. And we've never made a claim. When we pinned our agent down over the matter, she said it was due to the possibility of getting sued over the milk.

We specifically asked the FB rep about raw milk dairy sales, he said it was all OK. Not to mention, we got a LOT more coverage for just a little more money.

steve J
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I am going to have about 30 gallons to sell and if I have a great year and the time to boil it the high end would be 45 or so. I called my insurance agent told her what I was doing and the quantities involved and she adding a rider to my policy under future business pursuits she did not have a firm rate for me today but said it would be less then $100.00 based on the quantity that I be selling.

pamaple
03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Just found this old thread and figured I'd reply so that people have another option. I have nationwide insurance on everything and my sugar camp is fully insured structure and all contents, they came out took pictures and made a list of everything with values. I have 18.5 acres with a house and 30x40 building for my camp and I pay $1,000/ yr and it includes $1,000,000 worth of liabilty insurance.