PDA

View Full Version : Drill bit source

jcb
11-23-2010, 04:47 AM
I though I remember a post about a web site to buy drill bits for less. I found a web site but I not sure what the bits a called or who makes them. I did a search and had no luck, so any info would be great.

Thanks

Tmeeeh
11-23-2010, 06:20 AM
I really like the "Canadian" bits that Bascom sells. The chips fly out of the hole even when the sap is running. Other bits, the chips jam in the grooves on the bit and spin around in the hole so you have to pull the bit out and drill again in the same hole.

$21.00 each is a lot but they are much faster in the woods. I resharpen them with a "drill doctor". A less expensive source for these bits would be most welcome.

Dennis H.
11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
I could be thinking about something else but I believe these are the same drill bits.
I can't remember who told me this but here is a link.

Maybe someone else can chime in to be sure.

Drill Bit (http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMCTLG=00&PMAKA=81140204)

Haynes Forest Products
11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I have been using the same 3 bits that I got from Roth Sugar Bush 5 years ago. I havent sharpened them once. They are gold colored and are titanium coated. The best bit I ever used and the coating is as good as day 1 on the cutting edge so I will shoot the first person that gets near them thinking they will improve the edge.

I would caution anyone that sharpens a drill bit by hand that the CUTTING RATE is important. To aggressive and the wood gets torn and all raggetity. To slow and you smear and burn the wood closing the capillaries

Tmeeeh
11-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Dennis, The bits at the link you posted sure look like the "Canadian" ones I like.

Homestead Maple
11-23-2010, 10:23 AM
A friend of mine and I buy ours at MSC. I've never compared these bits with the Canadian ones.

Father & Son
11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I've been using that same MSC bit for 3 years now with no problems, of course I don't tap anywhere near the number as most, but for me it's just fine.

Jim

twofer
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
These look like the same bits Leader is selling.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CHICAGOLATROBE-Jobber-Drill-1V868?Pid=search

Homestead Maple
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
If you compare the twist rate of the MSC vs. the Grainger bit you'll see that the MSC is more like the Canadian and does a better job of clearing chips out of the hole. Just a thought and that's why we use them.

brookledge
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm another one that has been using MSC bits for about 3 years and they work good. Best of all they will save you some $ not a ton but a little helps.
Keith

markct
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
i dont know how the msc bits work, but i will say that i bought a 19/64 canadian bit from bascoms last year after drilling the first couple years with a standard bit. all i can say is wow what a difference, chips fly out, drill bat last longer, no pressure needed to push on drill, and an amazing clean hole! i know it sounds like im selling steak knives on late night tv but they realy did do all the things they say they do. i am changing to check valves this year so gota get a 5/16 bit now, i debated about trying an msc bit, they look simular altho the tip angle is different, but i think i will stay with another canadian bit since i know they work well

Maplewalnut
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
have to ask .....msc?

whalems
11-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Check the link in the earlier post. It appears to be an online parts catalouge

DrTimPerkins
11-23-2010, 07:34 PM
have to ask .....msc?

It's an industrial supply company....like Grainger's or McMaster Carr.

Dennis H.
11-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Hey Maplewalnut, MSC has a large distribution warehouse and store right here in PA. It is located right near Fort Indiantown Gap, Near Grantville.
They are right on par with Grainger and McMaster-Carr.

jcb
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
I found one on the MSC web site Its called a parabolic drill bit. What is a parabolic bit? Is that the right one?

This is the discription:

Parabolic - Drills Type: Jobber Size: 0.2969 In., 19/64 Flute Length: 3-1/16 Overall Length: 4-3/8 Rotation: Right Hand Material: HSS Finish/Coating: Bright

Thanks

stephen wheeler
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I just ordered a bit from Roth Sugarbush for $21.95 I have included their phone numbers.

715-289-3820 or 715-289-3665, we have 2 lines. We will be closed this Thursday and Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday. But will reopen on Monday morning at 8:30 am.

Roth Sugarbush, INC

Dennis H.
11-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Jcb here is the page on MSC website for the drill bit we are talking about.

THCPrecision
11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Well I too deal with msc on a daily basis being a machinest. To refine what you are looking for I would say that you want a screwmachine length parabolic drill. the overa ll length is shorter than a jobber length but still with plenty of flute length .They come in what eversize that you are looking for and thats what I tapped with last year rite out of my tooling drawer. worked great. The suttle difference between the commirialy avaliable tapping bits and the manufacturing drills out of msc is the drill point grind. most in msc are a 135 deg splitpoint grind and the true tapping bits are closer to a 90deg grind. maybe the 90deg drills straighter in wood or starts better in wood not sure but they ar e both parabolic grind which allows for more chip evacuation room in the flutes and less surface contact on the edges making for faster chip evac and less friction requiring less power and making your drill last longer.

brookledge
11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
The one that Dennis H listed is the exact same one I use. For 5 bucks or so it is well worth it. When i ordered them I got a few since they were cheap. Well I used the same bit for a couple thousand taps and still have the other new ones in the sugarhouse
Keith