PDA

View Full Version : Organic Syrup

themapleking
04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Somebody please explain what's the differance in organic maple syrup and what we all make. :?: :roll:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Joe- It is syrup that was made from trees that have had no synthetic and/or certain types of fertilizer restricted applied around a 50' buffer area near your maple trees and not sure if you are restricted to certain types of defoamers?I know bascom's uses sunflower oil for defoamer and they are organic certified. The million dollar ? is how could the prove you didn't apply things that you weren't suspose to? as the Dept of Ag. has you fill out the application form and doubt they sample all the soil in the woods that are being certified organic? Another way to add a $ to their pockets for fiddlin' with some paperwork.

It's about like this Kosher approved syrup-McLures(Buyers of bulk syrup) has producers sign a purity statement saying that they have used no or kosher approved defoamer in syrup made that you are going to sell them in bulk-How the donald duck can they tell if the producer didn't used approved defoamer with such a small quanity used if so??? Probably kind of hard or impossible to detect a .0000012 of a % if you ask me. Tell them they will live to be 200 years old if they buy and use your syrup and someone might sucker for it.

brookledge
04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
As far as I'm concered everybody can make organic syrup by not using pesticides or chemicals. other than that use an organic vegtable oil for your defoamer. Personally I think the word organic is more for the vegtable and fruit farmer. It is easy to make organic syrup. But try to grow fruits or vegtables and keep the pest and rodents from destroying your crop. Also you might think you are making organic syrup but how do you know if your neighbor or the roadside has been sprayed for poison ivy or something else.
Our industry goes through the cycle of gypsy moths and pear thripps but most do not spray their trees. Basically for maple syrup its a marketing word. Say its organic and you can sell for more $.
Keith

Ed K
04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Its just $, I can say I sell green certified syrup, as the orchard is certified thru Smart Wood. But I don't think it'll get us more sales or $. As I understand, the organic farms can use chemicals that are certified, but hear some are pretty strong.

hangman
04-28-2005, 05:10 PM
A couple years ago I was at the Farmers Market in Portland. Thet were selling Organic Maple Syrup. I asked the saleperson what this meant. She told me it had to do what was used to clean and sanitize the equipment.
I don't see the logic. Seems like a scam to me.

sapaddict
05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Does anybody know how much it costs to get organic certified. Seems like a scam, but does add value to product.