PDA

View Full Version : Mason 2 x 3 stove pipe

Rockwood
11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Has anyone had trouble fitting the first part of stove pipe into the 6" collar.

I've tried the stove pipe with the ridge fittings but can't get it to sit nicely with out having to use execute force, then it leave to much of a gap in places.

The last year it was not a problem do to running the evaporator just under a tempo.. This year however it goes into a new sugar shack, where any gaps may lead to smoke filling the confined space..

Thanks.

BryanEx
11-16-2010, 06:31 PM
The last year it was not a problem do to running the evaporator just under a tempo..
You run your evaporator under a Ford Tempo? Wouldn't it be easier under a Chevette? :D

Just teasing Rockwood. What has changed between this year and last? Are you trying to fit the same pipe or have you purchased new stuff?

Rockwood
11-16-2010, 06:58 PM
We all start with what we have.. The tempo housed the tractor until it was displaced.. For more important things.

The stove pipe was new at the time, have yet to purchase a replacement until I can come up with a better solution.. Or a make of stove pipe that will fit.

BryanEx
11-16-2010, 07:22 PM
We all start with what we have.. The tempo housed the tractor until it was displaced.. For more important things.
As I said... just teasing. By "tempo" I'm assuming you mean one of the plastic garage type deals?

The stove pipe was new at the time, have yet to purchase a replacement until I can come up with a better solution.. Or a make of stove pipe that will fit.
Just so I'm clear on what you are asking, you used pipe last year but when you try to refit it now it does not fit or... your pipe did not quite fit last year either but because you were outdoors it was not a big deal so you did not worry about it?

Rockwood
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Third try lucky.. The pipe never fit well from the start, but I didn't think much of it, due to the fact of boiling out doors.

BryanEx
11-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Are you fitting the pipe inside or outside the collar on your evaporator? Reason I ask is because the pipe goes inside the collar on my wood stove which is the opposite of what I'd expect for a proper seal and fits the same way on the evap I just sold. Trying to fit it outside would create the gaps you describe.

Rockwood
11-16-2010, 08:03 PM
The fitting would be on the inside, as per stove pipe installation instruction. Thus condensation would run down the inside of the pipe, rather than leaking or running down the outside at the joints.

The problem is that I could never incert the 90 Deg more the an inch or two past the collar. I may just try heating it with a torch until it's more pliable.

Also did you have to drill any hold through the collar to fasten with the sudjested three screws or just have a pressure fit?

HHM-07
11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Try getting a crimping tool fromsomeone who installs wood stoves and crimp your pipe more vigorously

moeh1
11-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Agree, the hand crimpers can pull the pipe in much tighter. If you can't borrow one even Home Depot has them, but I think they are like $30.:o

Rockwood
11-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I'll have to give the crimper a try..

Or perhaps try a different manufacturer.